1992 Toro - E and C bus question

Post your technical questions and information here.
Hoog
TOA Membership Number: 296

1992 Toro - E and C bus question

Postby Hoog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:35 am

Hi folks, here's an interesting issue that I am wondering if anyone's seen before. My 1992 Toro CD player is giving me grief. I had it rebuilt about 4 years ago, and it worked like a champ. A month ago I tried ejecting a disc and the screen went blank and no disc ejected. The radio started to play after I hit eject, so all was good there. I removed the CD player and sent it to M&R electronics, who had rebuilt it previously. They opened it up, extracted the CD, cleaned it and put it on the test bench. Worked fine. Upon return and installation into the vehicle, the CD player accepted a CD, but would not play, nor do the indicators come on to indicate a CD is in the player.

M&R suggested I send in the radio for testing, which I did. They ran it through tests, and no issues found. (Connected to Delco test equipment). M&R suggested testing the E&C bus in the car.

Now, just to be clear, EVERYTHING else works fine. The IPC works, no issues, and no complaints on the internal OBD1 system.

I am stumped. Anyone have any ideas on where to start? I find it hard to believe a wire was pulled or something akin, as the player was installed in the vehicle and functioning when the problem occurred. I could be wrong. Okay ... so anyone else have this issue or any suggestions on testing the E&C bus?

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 1992 Toro - E and C bus question

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:14 am

I don't know what the problem is but because everything works at the rebuild factory, I suspect something is wrong with the wiring in your car.

I would test the ground on all related parts. You may be able to just install a new ground wire that encompasses all the components.

I had a similar issue with an F150 radio. bench testing worked fine. It would work for a short time when reinstalled and then randomly stop or whatever. New ground wires solved the issue.

Hoog
TOA Membership Number: 296

Postby Hoog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Good call. I just sprayed all the connection contacts with CRC Electronic Cleaner and ... presto ... problem solved.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Awesome!

Return to “Technical Talk”