Considering adding passenger-side rear view mirror

Post your technical questions and information here.
emacdonough
TOA Membership Number: 75
Years Owned: 1966

Considering adding passenger-side rear view mirror

Postby emacdonough » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:13 pm

After many years of ownership, I am finally getting ready for new paint. I have a lightly optioned 1966 Deluxe model with a manual driver-side outside rear view mirror. I'm seriously considering adding a manual passenger-side mirror at this time so that I can drill the new mounting holes in the door prior to the re-spray. I would also like having the second mirror for the driving safety it offers. (Note: My car is just a nice driver, not a trophy quality car where 100% originality is important)

When mocking up the position of the new mirror, I tried positioning it perfectly symmetrical to the driver-side mirror but found it was too far forward and too low to be usable and blocked by the A pillar. By moving it up about 1/2" and back about 1-3/4" it seems to be much better, but the lack of symmetry kind of bothers me.

I decided to do a little research, but I didn't find any technical literature that confirms the manual passenger-side mirror was a factory option.
Also, after looking a photos of hundreds of '66 and '67 Toronados, I only found 2 that have such a mirror. Unfortunately, one was positioned symmetrically (Blue example), the other not (White example). See attached photos below.

I'm hoping someone out there may know more about this subject. Also, I'd welcome any feedback to this post for or against the idea of adding the second rear view mirror. I am not committed either way just yet.

66_Blue_close-up.jpg
66_Blue_close-up.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 13727 times

66_Austin_close-up.jpg
66_Austin_close-up.jpg (144.65 KiB) Viewed 13727 times

Tuco
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Re: Considering adding passenger-side rear view mirror

Postby Tuco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 am

I too am having this same debate with myself. I bought the passenger mirror from Fusick but haven’t put it on yet because it doesn’t match the driver mirror. Add in the problem of symmetry as you state and I’m thinking I may just leave it in the box.

Decisions,decisions...

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:52 am

In answer to both of you, I wouldn't bother with a passenger side mirror.

My 1956 Cadillac has only a driver side mirror. I too prefer symmetry and thought about installing one on the passenger side. In order to even see it, it would have to be set back farther than the driver side mirror because it would be blocked by the vent window frame.

That would be worse than having no mirror.

The same is true for the Toronado. I'd like the symmetry of two mirrors but if placed in the same position as the driver mirror it would be useless. Even if you can see it it's really too small to be practical. Forget about it.

Some years back I obtained a matching passenger side mirror for my mom's 1964 Galaxie 500. I mounted it in the same position as the one on the driver side.

It's completely useless for my mom because she has to move the seat forward to reach the pedals which means that the vent window frame blocks her line of sight to the mirror.

My advice is to leave well enough alone and get used to taking quick glances over your shoulders before changing lanes. Since I don't own any modern cars, I'm in the habit of doing that all the time. Even when I had a rental pickup truck recently I did the quick head turn before changing lanes instead of using the passenger side mirror.

Oh ya, when I bought my Toronado, the seller gave me a brand new mirror from Fusick that was intended for installation on the passenger side. He didn't install it either for the same reasons we've mentioned.

If you choose to install it, it will purely be for aesthetic purposes rather than for practicality and safety.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:01 am

Emac, I just noticed you live in Suwannee. I live in Decatur.

My Toronado is the same color as yours, Dubonnet. Pretty cool.
Attachments
Toro and Cads at Collector's House.jpg
Toro and Cads at Collector's House.jpg (186.77 KiB) Viewed 13723 times

emacdonough

Postby emacdonough » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone, for the feedback... I really appreciate it. More opinions are welcome. Paint work not yet underway.

Sounds like there are a lot of spare Fusick mirrors around. I purchased a "pair" before mulling this over. I'll keep my original mirror as a spare, but the chrome has lost it's luster and the mirror glass is cracked and not original. The Fusick mirrors are excellent reproductions.

To Otto,
I really like your car, and we really aren't too far apart distance-wise. There's only a few 1966 owners in Georgia that are TOA members, so it's pretty amazing our cars look virtually identical. The only difference I can see from the picture is that I think you have the optional headrests.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:42 am

Hi Emac,

It is funny that the cars are so similar. What's even more amazing is that I know another guy in Gwinnet with a Dubonett '66 Toro.

I think it must be the angle of the photo and distance from the camera that makes the car look like it has headrests. It has the deluxe bench seats without a headrest.

My car is a Deluxe that comes standard with air conditioning and power windows. Unfortunately the original purchaser deleted both of those features so I have no ac and have crank up windows. The plus side of that is that the person who sold it to me said that if it had air conditioning he would have kept it for himself.
Attachments
DSC03915.JPG
DSC03915.JPG (452.96 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
DSC03919.JPG
DSC03919.JPG (330.09 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
DSC03922.JPG
DSC03922.JPG (376.49 KiB) Viewed 13714 times

emacdonough

Postby emacdonough » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Otto,

If I didn't know better, I'd think it was my car. Thanks for the additional photos you posted. I have crank windows and no A/C (no power anything really, except for power steering).

Ed MacDonough

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:28 pm

There's one thing on my car that I bet yours doesn't have.

Notice the decklid. See that center crease? Only a handful of '66 Toros have it. GM was testing to see if it would reduce flexing of the lid. They ran a couple hundred like this on one day and never again because it doesn't do anything to strengthen the lid.
Attachments
DSC03915.JPG
DSC03915.JPG (452.96 KiB) Viewed 13711 times
DSC03914.JPG
DSC03914.JPG (421.79 KiB) Viewed 13711 times

emacdonough

Postby emacdonough » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:06 pm

You're right Otto, I don't have that center crease on the decklid. I've read about it somewhere, but I've never seen it before. Very cool!

brian66toro

Postby brian66toro » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 pm

Otto,

Is the Gold 64 Caddy yours?

Brian

Return to “Technical Talk”