Brake Lights Funk

Post your technical questions and information here.
tera155
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Brake Lights Funk

Postby tera155 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:03 pm

I thought I would tap the community on something that is happening on my '66 Toro. First, let me state I am not a wiring guy.

So what is happening -- when I put the blinker on -- the tailights both blink -- but the front blinker works fine. It happens with both left or right - and it happens when the lights are on or not.

I replaced that cylinder fuse but that didn't make a difference. Also the flarestat does work -- it blinks very, very fast.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Otto Skorzeny

Re: Brake Lights Funk

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm assuming the lights were all working correctly and then one day stopped working correctly?

I've found that this can often be traced to a burned out bulb or corrosion in one of the sockets. It's not always one of the bulbs that's not working. It could be any one of the six tail light bulbs or one of the two front signals. Check both filaments in the taillights.

Fast blinking is also sometimes a symptom of a burned out bulb. Also check all ground connections for the circuit.

Tuco
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Postby Tuco » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 am

Ditto what Otto said. Most likely a faulty ground.

tera155

Postby tera155 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks guys -- I replaced all six 1157's ($21) put some electrical tape on some suspicious wires and walla the lights work as should be.

I also redid the wiring to the trunk light -- seems like that light only goes on (in my car) when the lights are on. I would have thought the trunk light would go on whenever the trunk is open -- but not so.

Btw -- I saw the pneumatic line at the trunk latch for the glove box button to remotely open the trunk (which works btw).

Thanks for the advice guys -- some tape and new bulbs -- problem fixed. Yay!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 am

A $20 fix that requires no tools is the best kind of auto repair! Glad you got it working.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:07 pm

tera155 wrote: I also redid the wiring to the trunk light -- seems like that light only goes on (in my car) when the lights are on. I would have thought the trunk light would go on whenever the trunk is open -- but not so.

Perhaps someone added a trunk light but did not want to bother running an
"always hot" circuit to the front of the car. So they just tapped onto the
rear lights. Bruce Roe

Return to “Technical Talk”