Replacement radiator / fitting information

Post your technical questions and information here.
MNfirefighter
TOA Membership Number: 1
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe - all original - white exterior w/ plum interior

Replacement radiator / fitting information

Postby MNfirefighter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Just wanted to share some information.

I ordered a replacement radiator from Jegs. It was a Champion aluminum 3 core radiator, model# CC161. It fit fine but the transmission bungs in the radiator were in a different location. This required me to bend the lines some. The fittings for the transmission line were also different. I haven't figured out what the gem flared ends are on the transmission lines but this adapter will be the female to male flare reducer you will need to connect to the 1/2-20 connections on the radiator.

go to NAPA auto parts and order:
Brass Fitting - 3 Way Multiple Shut-Off Brass Fitting - 3 Way Multiple Shut-Off
PRODUCT LINE
Weatherhead
PART #
WH 7915

It gives no description about what female size in and male size out but another tornado owner before me did the searching (he bought the same radiator) and shared this information with me so I'd figure I'll add it here. My guess is that it is a 5/8 to 1/2 flared reducer. I bought a 9/16 to 1/2 flared reducer and the female side wasn't big enough. It was close hence why I believe this fitting is a 5/8.

I love the radiator and it does a good job at cooling. On to the next toronado project.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Replacement radiator / fitting information

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Was the original radiator too badly damaged to be repaired?

MNfirefighter
TOA Membership Number: 1
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe - all original - white exterior w/ plum interior

Postby MNfirefighter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm sure someone could have repaired it. I live in a small town where there isn't a radiator shop within hours of me.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Save it, though. Those copper core, brass tank jobs are getting rare.

All I could locate for my '79 F-100 was an aluminum one with plastic tanks. The company wanted my old one in exchange. I told them to forget it since the plastic tank ones always end up leaking at the gasket that's crimped in place. I figure the copper /brass are usually repairable forever unless the core gets too badly corroded.

Return to “Technical Talk”