Toro 68 starts bogging/stumbling/stottering/stalls heavy after warming up

Post your technical questions and information here.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Toro 68 starts bogging/stumbling/stottering/stalls heavy after warming up

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 am

Offhand I'd say your accelerator pump in the Q-Jet is sticking or the plunger on the accelerator pump is torn or deformed.

Does your fuel suffer from ethanol poisoning over there? If so, the carburetor should be completely rebuilt to ensure that all gaskets and rubber parts are ethanol tolerant.

In any event, get some carburetor /choke cleaner and spray the daylights out of the accelerator pump and all the orifices you can reach with it. Spray down that little stove pipe looking thing inside the air horn.

Also, start the car and rev the engine while you spray in and around all parts of the carb. You may dislodge or dissolve some corrosion that's accumulated in the carb. This may have happened if the car hasn't been driven in a long time.

This worked for me when I first bought my car and had a similar bogging situation. The car hadn't been driven much in a long time. I eventually had the carb rebuilt with the correct jets and ethanol resistant parts.

If you want to have your carburetor professionally rebuilt, I highly recommend this company. http://www.daytonaparts.com

They also sell top quality kits to rebuild the carburetor yourself. You may also want to call them and speak with Tim Hewitt about your problem. He is extremely knowledgeable and may be able to talk you through a fix over the phone. He's done so for me several times.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Toro 68 starts bogging/stumbling/stottering/stalls heavy after warming up

Postby bcroe » Wed May 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Something else to check, is your timing chain set. The original has plastic teeth on
the cam sprocket, guaranteed to eventually fail (regardless of low miles) and cause
much grief.

Don't tell me about what a job it is to do on a front driver, I have done a few.
good luck, Bruce Roe

Return to “Technical Talk”