TH425 manual lever seal

Post your technical questions and information here.
harascho
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe owned 1 year

TH425 manual lever seal

Postby harascho » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:52 am

Hi gents,

it's been a while..... the Toronado is in its winter sleep and I work on the '56 Caddy. When last looking under the Toronado I saw some automatic gear oil. Seems to come from the manual lever seal. That one has a story with me. When the tranny was on the bench I replaced every seal except the manual lever's O-ring. That was because the pin securing the shaft is buried in the hole. That pin secures the shaft in place, goes through the housing and sits in a groove of the shaft.

At the time I had that in front of me I thought ok let's try it.... it held 2 years, now the long winter rest has oil comming out of the shafts bore..
Did anyone have similar trouble?

cheers
Harald
Attachments
manual_shaft_3.JPG
manual_shaft_3.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 17018 times
manual_shaft_2.JPG
manual_shaft_2.JPG (87.79 KiB) Viewed 17018 times
manual_shaft_1.JPG
manual_shaft_1.JPG (74.2 KiB) Viewed 17018 times

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: TH425 manual lever seal

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 am

I've never had my tranny out. If I see oil on the ground I just make sure I add oil as needed.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

TH425 manual lever seal

Postby bcroe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Put in a new O ring. However, the leak that really causes problems on the TH435
is at the bottom of the chain cover. Not enough metal there for a cork gasket, it
will hold if you glue the cover back on. Bruce Roe

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm

The problem is that the shaft comes outwards and the frame is 1/2" from it... Perhaps you can unbolt the motor mounts and allow the engine/trans to drop a bit.

harascho
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe owned 1 year

Postby harascho » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm

guys you misunderstood me..;-)
I know that I have to replace the shaft's o-ring.... problem is that the shafts securing pin has to come out to remove the shaft. And that lovely pin is buried in the aluminium material of the housing see pic

cheers

Harald
Attachments
manual_shaft_4.JPG
manual_shaft_4.JPG (137.8 KiB) Viewed 17010 times

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:28 pm

I wish I could help you. I rebuilt my TH425 (and a couple of TH400s) and I never had a problem getting those out. I just don't remember how they are secured, but I bet if you have a closer look it is much easier than it looks.

nphoenix
Years Owned: 1975 Eldorado

Postby nphoenix » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:17 am

I am doing my research to attempt the o ring replace with tranny in car on a 1975 eldorado. Also in process of figuring out how to raise or lower off of the driver side motor mount so that the manual shaft can clear the torsion bar if the engine/tranny is in the car. seems like unbolting the bottom engine mount bolt and hoisting up the engine a bit may be a possible method to sneak out the arm.

Your photos were a great help to encourage my DIY attempt. Also in this video of a GMC motor home tranny ( https://youtu.be/6zteEsiMEFU ) at time 1:54 (one hour and 54 minutes) he gets into the detail of that manual arm, the pin and the nut and the o ring. In the video the pin seems to have 1/4" exposure to grab for removal - in your photos it looks like its sheared off?

Thanks for any other advice!

SaltLife97

Postby SaltLife97 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 am

nphoenix wrote:I am doing my research to attempt the o ring replace with tranny in car on a 1975 eldorado. Also in process of figuring out how to raise or lower off of the driver side motor mount so that the manual shaft can clear the torsion bar if the engine/tranny is in the car. seems like unbolting the bottom engine mount bolt and hoisting up the engine a bit may be a possible method to sneak out the arm.

Your photos were a great help to encourage my DIY attempt. Also in this video of a GMC motor home tranny ( https://youtu.be/6zteEsiMEFU ) at time 1:54 (one hour and 54 minutes) he gets into the detail of that manual arm, the pin and the nut and the o ring. In the video the pin seems to have 1/4" exposure to grab for removal - in your photos it looks like its sheared off?

Thanks for any other advice!

Hey Pal I'm in the same boat right now with a '73. Did you ever figure this out? I don't want to leave it leaking since it's a pretty bad leak when it's under power.

Return to “Technical Talk”