'66 Toronado Seat Covers

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
pipedreamer66
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Base

'66 Toronado Seat Covers

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello all, quick question regarding the seat covers for a '66 Toronado. I am aware that there is no aftermarket covers for this application. I'm wondering if the '66 Buick Riviera covers would work or is there another application that would work? I'm not looking to make this a show car but, the seat covers in the car I'm considering are trashed. Thank you in advance.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: '66 Toronado Seat Covers

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:34 pm

I think your best bet would be to talk to a local auto upholstery shop. Correct fabric/vinyl can be obtained from this company. https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

If you aren't concerned about using the factory style material, your upholsterer could probably find a reasonable approximation and use what remains of the interior as a pattern.

I don't know if the Buick seats would be the same since there is a transmission hump to deal with in the Buick. I imagine the seat frames would be different.

An Eldorado is probably quite similar although, of course, all three cars will have different patterns and cushion shapes even if they are on the same frame (Toro and Eldo).

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you Otto. I was figuring that is what would be stated. The reason why I was asking is so I could at least include a rough cost into the selling price of a Toronado I'm debating.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Since there are no ready made seat covers for this car, the upholsterer is going to have to make them himself. Regardless of the type of fabric you choose, you're looking at a couple thousand dollars or more for front and back seats. Headliner and carpet will be more.

My '56 Cadillac cost $5600 for the whole job.

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:44 am

Carpet is fairly cheap. You can even buy the correct stuff from Fusick for that. You'll probably have to go SMS as Otto states. If fabric inserts, get that material from SMS. If just vinyl (probalby Madrid pattern). just have your upholsterer order new Madrid vinyl instead of buying the older original stuff from SMS. Upholsterers generally prefer working iwth the newer slightly more pliable material. And the cost of the vinyl really isn't that much anyway. The original fabric inserts for my 67 was the expensive stuff. SMS does a great job of precut headliner of correct material if you need that, and recommend you go that way if needed.

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 am

Thank you everyone. The seats in the car are full vinyl as a matter of fact. I did send SMS a message last night so we'll see what they say later in the week. Take care.

brian66toro

Postby brian66toro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

SMS is a source for difficult to fine OEM fabrics and/or patterns that are out of the ordinary.

Any good interior trim shop should be able to match the grain and get really close in color. I am fortunate to have a 66 with a black interior which is the most common vinyl out there. I had a shop in Langhorne, PA re-do my back seat and the vinyl matches perfectly as well as the piping. Cost about $600.00.

Brian

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Bringing this back to the top, in case new information is available. I will have to redo my seats soon and prices :shock:

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Still no ready made seat covers available. Have a good upholsterer copy the old pattern with repro fabric and vinyl from SMS.

Return to “General Talk”