Looking for a Remote Oil Filter and External Oil Cooler Setup for the 455

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
UV520
TOA Membership Number: 0

Postby UV520 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:35 am

Is there a Remote Oil Filter and External Oil Cooler Setup for the 455?

Does anyone have one? IF SO - Do you like it and how long have you been using it?

Where can you get one?

Thank you,

Tony

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Looking for a Remote Oil Filter and External Oil Cooler Setup for the 455

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:42 am

I think your best bet would be to check out Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?sor ... l%20cooler

Applied GMC also has a setup specifically for the GMC motorhomes.

http://www.appliedgmc.com/search.itml?i ... oil+cooler

UV520

Postby UV520 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 am

Otto Skorzeny wrote:I think your best bet would be to check out Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?sor ... l%20cooler

Applied GMC also has a setup specifically for the GMC motorhomes.

http://www.appliedgmc.com/search.itml?i ... oil+cooler

Thank you Otto.

I have worked on Chevys most of my life and there is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there. And finding an aftermarket coolers is not the problem.. But finding the adapter that fits the 455 engine is what I am having an issue with doing my searches this morning.

That is why I wanted to hear from those in the know - those who have been there done that and are using something they like.

I do see that www.appliedgmc.com shows an adapter and I will be contacting them today.

Thanks again,
Tony

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:07 pm

The diesel engines used a filter mount with metal lines to an oil cooler. There was a RWD and
a FWD (TH325) version. One after market relocater I looked at, managed to rig it so you had
to buy oil filters from them after that. Bruce Roe

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sun May 21, 2017 5:22 pm

If you remove the aluminum oil filter adapter on the Olds engine, you'll find a pair of drilled holes--one out, one in.

All you need to do is attach to the inlet/outlet holes. You can do this with an adapter bolted-on using the OEM gasket and bolt holes, or you could maybe drill the holes a little oversize, then thread the holes directly for pipe thread-to-37 degree hose connections. You will want -10 or -12 fittings and hose.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Don't drill one of those rare Toro filter mounts. Get one from any RWD Olds setup 68-88,
they are more compact anyway. Bruce Roe

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Let me rephrase. I suggest you remove the OEM filter mount. Put it on a shelf, or sell it on eBay.

Either
1. Open the block holes using a bit sized for the pipe thread, then tap for the pipe thread-to-37 degree flare hose adapter. You'll want pipe-to-37 adapters in at least -10. Something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra- ... /overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-581611/overview/
As long as the pipe-to-37 adapter isn't restricted inside (must have AT LEAST 1/2" ID) the smaller pipe-thread would be easier to work with.

It would be nice to see what size fittings are included with your remote oil-filter kit. If they are using -12, you might want to use that at the engine as well.

Be sure there is enough material in the block to accept the drilling and tapping procedure!!! I have heard of this being done, I've never done it myself. No promises.

Or

2. Get a chunk of plate steel or thick aluminum, Put the gasket on the plate, and drill the three bolt holes. Then drill and tap the plate for those pipe-to-37 hose adapters using the gasket and your judgement of the engine block as a guide for placing the holes. The goal is to drill the oil-passage holes in the plate exactly in-line with the holes in the block. Again, you're drilling for the NPT size of the pipe-to-37 fitting you select. Tap the plate from the correct direction.

Bolt the steel or aluminum hose adapter block to the engine block using the OEM gasket and bolt holes.

Overall, drilling and tapping the engine block is probably easier than making an adapter--IF (big IF) the block has enough material.

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Thu May 25, 2017 10:33 am

Or buy a block adapter similar to this one for a Pontiac.

cwripinz
TOA Membership Number: 1307
Years Owned: Own Two Matching 1985 Gen 3 Broughams...
Gonna drop a 403 in one of them!
Will own a 1969, eventually.

Postby cwripinz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:13 pm

You could spin this one on for $20... Trans-Dapt Performance Spin-On Oil Filter Bypass Adapters 1020... From Summit Racing... And run your lines wherever you like. This one fits Pontiac & Olds 455.

Because my 1985 Toronado had been hauling an 18' Aristocrat Land Commander Trailer all of it's life, I have had a Tranny cooler on it since the 200 mile mark... 80K, now... Tranny is still crisp and does not scorch the fluid... Minimal 'sparkly-bits' in the pan, too! Old, cheesy (but functional!) JC Whitney Cooler finally aged-out... The Cooler itself didn't fail... The frame for mounting it cracked! Same with the old clamped-on BUNA Lines... Cracking but still in tact. I did it by splitting a hard line to the in-radiator cooler and then splicing in a remote. Now installing Derale Replacement Tube and Fin Engine Oil Cooler 13300 (Summit) on Tranny with 6AN Fittings (Jegs) and Braided Stainless Lines (Maxon Auto Corporation on Amazon)... Should never age out in my lifetime! Might put a remote engine oil cooler on it when I drop in the 403.

Granted, my installation is on a 307 and it is a Tranny cooler BUT it has been worked hard schlepping that trailer over and back across the continental divide... In all kinds of weather... Often... And all over the country... And has worked very well. I like the Derale 13300 because it is a good size, has the AN fittings in place and it is priced right.

For your installation... If using the 13300 Derale with the 1020 & the 6AN Lines, you would need the 1/2" NPT to 6AN adapter.

I put a 13300 Derale as a Tranny Cooler and 13300 Derale as an Engine Oil Cooler on my 1976 Dodge 5/4-Ton M880 (318 and a 727 Torqueflite w/Full Time 4WD) Truck using the Spin on Bypass, Remote Filter Mount, 6AN Fittings and Braided Stainless Lines. Runs cool & happy... And the Filter is soooooo easy to get to!!

Just my 2 pennies worth...

Return to “General Talk”