how about a "Major Builds and Projects section"

Let us know what you would like to see in the forum. All suggestions and comments welcome.
bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

how about a "Major Builds and Projects section"

Postby bluecab » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:50 pm

I have tried to keep most of my restoration posts under one or two topics that I have started, but the threads seem to drift off onto other topics and get "hijacked".
I have no ill will toward the other posters as without a specific area for individual restorations the forum is a bit of a free-for-all.
Just my 2 cents. I would like to see more activity here, this might encourage that.

David Bond
1966 425 build in process
1973 Mountain hot rod with a block heater and chains

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: how about a "Major Builds and Projects section"

Postby toro_mike » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:19 pm

Thread hijacking is an age old problem on forums. I'm not sure setting up a forum dedicated to the suggested topic would prevent it, but am willing to hear other opinions :)
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Gator
TOA Membership Number: 1139
Years Owned: 1970 Toronado Custom

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:03 am

It's far from perfect, but one way might be for each 'project manager' to have their own website (facebook/google+/homepage) that shows the project progression and the refer the major milestones on the forum. It allows for control over content back on the member's own website and allows other members to freely discuss the project on Toronado.org.

One major issue I see with this is retention of information. If toro.org wants to retain information for future reference (and in the event the OP is no longer hosting that information), we would need to develop an archive of sorts.

Just a thought.
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

MNfirefighter
TOA Membership Number: 1
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe - all original - white exterior w/ plum interior

Postby MNfirefighter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello,

I just joined TOA recently because I finally got my hands on a 66 Toronado. I just started cruising the forums here and posting but right away I looked for a build or project thread and unfortunately didn't see one. I like the idea of a "my build thread" because it allows one thread to catalogue the progression of your vehicle. I have done this across other forums (my F250 7.3 powerstroke, 02 audi, 94 ranger 2.3 turbo, 05 grand cherokee) and definitely dig reading a 20 page thread about a guys build and see the back and forth and sharing of ideas. By simply being able to only post a thread about a specific subject it limits the conversation to just shorter threads. I just started tearing into my 66 replacing a few items and was looking to share pictures along the way etc. but I don't feel there's a correct area of the forum to do so (chim in if others think something differently). General talk seems to be outside car project builds and then theres technical talk subjects which this isn't either. I'm not sure how many other individuals would start a project thread but it would allow people to share old pictures of work and allow people who just acquire a toronado recently to catalogue their progress.

Open to thoughts? This is just the first forum I've joined for vehicles that hasn't had a project / build area.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:15 pm

There is/was at least one thread on here which linked to the builder's fb page. Don't remember now who or where.

I'd say anyone who wishes to post an ongoing thread like that should just start one in the Technical section and title it appropriately so it can be found. I like seeing stuff like that, too.

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 am

Mine is on the Classic Olds Forum here;

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/maj ... egins.html

Have not updated for some time as I do most of my work in the winter...

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Comments”