Power Stearing Unit

Post your technical questions and information here.
Robert Lindberg
TOA Membership Number: 693
Years Owned: 4 years 1966 Toronado

Power Stearing Unit

Postby Robert Lindberg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:08 pm

In mid summer I had a squeal in the power steering belt my dad (RIP) use to say use a bar of soap on the belt I should have listened
instead I bought a spray belt dressing and sprayed the hell out of the belt close to the power steering unit getting some on the end of unit. From then on
the power steering unit makes a bad noise I can get the noise to go away for about a day by oiling the end of the power steering unit, could I take the bolt off the end of the unit and take the pulley off grease it and get rid of the noise? I don't want to Take the Power Steering unit off for repair because of the high pressure hoses. Any other Ideas?

hullinger
TOA Membership Number: 998
Years Owned: 1966

Re: Power Stearing Unit

Postby hullinger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm

You know, my first reaction is a bearing that's beginning to fail. New pumps are much money but the hassle is swapping the pulley and fluid reservoir. As an alternative, you can send your pump to a company like Lares and they'll rebuild your unit. Either way though, don't be discouraged by the pressure hose. If it's as old as the pump than it should be replaced anyway. When you unbolt it, just prop it up so the fluid doesn't drain out.

Return to “Technical Talk”