Toro Slow Start

Post your technical questions and information here.
Robert Lindberg
TOA Membership Number: 693
Years Owned: 4 years 1966 Toronado

Toro Slow Start

Postby Robert Lindberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:48 pm

On my 1966 Toronado standard Engine and Carb. always cranks 15 to 20 seconds before it gets gas to start after it has been setting a day or more. Some people tell me the timing is off, Some say the gas drains back thru the lines, others say its not uncommon, others say it drains from the floats into the manifold,Greg would know. What due you think??
Flue Pump. Not the worst problem to have as long as the battery is good. Thanks in advance. Bob

hullinger
TOA Membership Number: 998
Years Owned: 1966

Re: Toro Slow Start

Postby hullinger » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:02 pm

I'll tell you I've had the same problem on various old cars I've had. I've heard many of the same culprits as you and some new ones like ethanol, evaporation and a missing check ball. I've had some cars that would start right up after sitting for two weeks while others that sat for a day would take a bit of cranking to get going. All were in a good state of tune. I've deducted that the problem is the well plug in the carb that allows the fuel to drain. In the past, whenever I've had carb problems with other old cars I would replace the carb with a new unit like Holley Edelbrock. With the Toro though it seems I've got to send it out for a rebuild. I'm working with Sparky now and plan to send the carb to him once the weather gets really cold.

Chris

68 Toro
TOA Membership Number: 99
Years Owned: 1968

Postby 68 Toro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 pm

I've had this identical problem for the entire 9 years that I have owned my 1968 Toronado. Everything was tried, except for one: an auxiliary electric fuel pump.

Single-engine airplanes have these to draw fuel from the wings to the engine. Usually they're only used during starting, takeoff and landing (the critical times). During regular flight, the engine's mechanical pump is sufficient to continuously feed fuel to the engine.

Next time I bring the Toro to my mechanic for anything, he will install one. Together we'll determine how many second of pump activation is required to bring gas from the tank to the carb. Of course I will update this forum, but it might not be for quite a while, since everything else seems to be working perfectly.
Dave B.
1968 Toronado
Miami, FL
TOA # 99

Fabio Herrero
TOA Membership Number: 0

Postby Fabio Herrero » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:59 pm

I have the same problem and wanted to fix it someday.

By the time you put an electric pump for use only before giving boot.

Tengo el mismo problema y quisiera algun dia poder solucionarlo.

Por el momento coloque una bomba electrica que uso solo para antes de dar arranque.

68 Toro
TOA Membership Number: 99
Years Owned: 1968

Postby 68 Toro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Good news, I had the electric auxiliary fuel pump installed. In the future I will try to write a report about this in our magazine. The bottom line is that I am very pleased with the result.
Dave B.
1968 Toronado
Miami, FL
TOA # 99

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 am

Quadrajet carbs ARE known for leakage out of the well-plugs, and the early carbs are worse in this regard than the later ones.

That said, improper/excessive heating of the manifold coupled to modern-blend gasoline results in the fuel evaporating/boiling out of the float bowl, this evaporation can be greater than the fuel lost due to leaking plugs.

Aside from assuring that the heat riser is working properly and the exhaust is not restricted, the practical "fix" for this is a electric fuel pump that can prime the carb before and during cranking.

Return to “Technical Talk”