1966 Toro Engine trouble

Post your technical questions and information here.
sworth66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe

1966 Toro Engine trouble

Postby sworth66toro » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:31 am

My car had been dieseling when the engine was turned off. I replaced the spark plugs and wires trying to fix the issue. The car seemed to run better, but still dieseled when turned off and one particular time, it knocked pretty long and loud. After that, the engine has a tick when idling and makes a hissing noise during initial start. Any help diagnosing is appreciated. Video link below.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/-94QhnluxSg

hullinger
TOA Membership Number: 998
Years Owned: 1966

Re: 1966 Toro Engine trouble

Postby hullinger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I'll take a stab at it, but first, I would recommend not cranking the engine so long during startup. Maybe crank for 4 or 5 seconds, take a short break, another 4 - 5 seconds and so on. You'd be amazed how hot some of those electrical pieces get by continually cranking like that.

As for the hissing, my first reaction is a vacuum leak. I'd ask if the idle jumped up and has remained elevated when the hissing first appeared? If so, this could add merit to the vacuum leak theory. A quick looksie and push/pull to all the vacuum hoses and fittings might just solve or identify the problem.

For the tick, I would think a spark plug wire is loose or plug isn't tight.

Hope this helps.

Chris

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:50 am

Hard starting and dieseling are result of lower compression, poor state of tune, foul gas
bad valves / rings and and /or any combination of the 5. Not to mention vacuum leaks.

where to start ..... there are a lot unknowns here so lets first get some questions answered:

How long have you own the car?

Previous to your ownership what do you know for sure of its mechanical history,
as in has it been rebuilt or other wise molested?

Does it have it original motor, if so, why does it have a 68-up air cleaner and what appears to be the twist on oil filler cap.

If not, check to see if it has a VIN stamping (see photo) found on 68 and up motors
if so it will read 3xM6/7 xxxxx. The X will be the year as in 8,9,0,-1,2,3 the 6 or 7 will be the decade 6 = 68-69-70 7 = 71-72-73 etc

Compression on the 71 and up motor dropped considerably so lets see where the answers take us.
Attachments
Eng Vin stamping 68 up.JPG
Eng Vin stamping 68 up.JPG (44.71 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
Bill
TOA #1

sworth66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe

Postby sworth66toro » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, I've owned the car since July. I became frustrated with my progress with the car and have placed it in storage for the winter. Will resume in the spring...

Thanks again

Return to “Technical Talk”