1966 headlights+water

Post your technical questions and information here.
followme21
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

1966 headlights+water

Postby followme21 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 pm

So I've been fighting these headlights for a while now. I though I had them figured out, I sent them to the guy that advatises in the F.W.D magizine. Anyway they were working good for a while (400-500 miles) mostly daytime driving so they really were not used that much. The car sat a couple of weeks untill today I was going to go for a drive, I tried the headlights and they would not work. Started messing with them and first off found out that the steel canister on the drivers side front fender had a fair amount of water in it, (what is the purpose of that anyway) so I bypassed that (and drained that) by giving known vacume to each headlight cannister, the drivers one worked right but the passanger side did not. I took it apart and it also had a fair amount of water in there, I assume the condensation was enough to wash of the greese from the rubber boot. I greased it back up and put it all together and curently it seems to be working ok. So is there something that is suppose to help reduce the amount of condensation? Or do I have a small leak somewhere pulling in condensation from the ambient air? I really dont want to have to regularly take the system apart to drain it. And I dont see how it would even be necessary. Thanks

taddpole
TOA Membership Number: 983
Years Owned: 69 Olds Toronado W-34

Re: 1966 headlights+water

Postby taddpole » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I am not sure on the water problem but I do know what the canister is for. It is a vacuum reservoir. It should have a check valve in the line so when you shut the car off the vacuum can't bleed back into the engine. This allows you headlights to work when you first start the car because there is vacuum stored in the canister ready to go. It will work without it but the headlights will just come up slower if you turn them one right when you start the car. As far as the water goes I am not really sure. I am from Arizona so we really don't have moisture problems here.

followme21
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

Postby followme21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 am

Thanks for the response.. I figured the cannister up there was a vacum storgae tank of some sort what somewhat confusses me about that is there is only one line going in to into it and it supplies vacume all the time i think. So how does the vacume get out of the tank to go to the light cannister? Dont know if that makes since or not.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 pm

followme21 wrote:Thanks for the response.. I figured the cannister up there was a vacum storgae tank of some sort what somewhat confusses me about that is there is only one line going in to into it and it supplies vacume all the time i think. So how does the vacume get out of the tank to go to the light cannister? Dont know if that makes since or not.

Well, it doesn't need to have an in/out, it's vacuum :P It just holds a little vacuum in it, do you can pop your trunk, or lock your doors with the engine off. It jusy has to have something actuated, and the vacuum will act upon whatever is turned on.
TOA #839

Return to “Technical Talk”