66 Toro Leaf Spring Quandary(s)

Post your technical questions and information here.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: 66 Toro Leaf Spring Quandary(s)

Postby xgecko » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 pm

I concur. The factory look of the day was the exact opposite of what is considered proper today.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

pudland
TOA Membership Number: 987
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby pudland » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 am

Maybe I'm a little off but... I think the early Toros have a "SPEEDRACER" kinda look!!

Anyway..... I got the gas tank out yesterday and all the wiring etc out from the trunk, tail lights and bumper off.
Whew...... !!

Ooh... my fuel sender works! (See separate post) it goes from 0ish - 90ish ohms! The top had all kinds of crap on it from the trunk rusting. I'm hoping the gauge is good.

Gotta hit the shocks while I have all that room!!

Adam...

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:41 am

It's worth remembering the Oldsmobile emblem is a rocket ship... Space was on the tip of everyones mind in the era, and the toronado was designed to be futuristic... The 66 STILL looks futureistic :P The 1970 on the otherhand, was designed more with jets in mind, and really fits it well... Both of these being flying things for inspiration, an upward nose makes sense thematically...

That's my opinion anyway... Don'task me what the hell they were thinking on the 68-69 though... I'm ginna guess 'bling' :P
TOA #839

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 am

Ah, but it is a matter of taste. While I do love the '66 and '67 look, I have a love/dislike relationship with pop-up headlights. Love the look when they are down, not so much when they are up.

As for the next two years, I favor the front of both but somewhat prefer the tail of the '69. I also prefer the slight improvements to the interior layout and the locking steering wheel that came along in that year.

As for the '70 I never have been a fan of that year, although it beats anything that came later.

Of course, that is my opinion, and we all know what that is worth! :P
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:55 am

xgecko wrote:Ah, but it is a matter of taste. While I do love the '66 and '67 look, I have a love/dislike relationship with pop-up headlights. Love the look when they are down, not so much when they are up.

As for the next two years, I favor the front of both but somewhat prefer the tail of the '69. I also prefer the slight improvements to the interior layout and the locking steering wheel that came along in that year.

As for the '70 I never have been a fan of that year, although it beats anything that came later.

Of course, that is my opinion, and we all know what that is worth! :P

But, the upside of the popup headlights, is that they won't be up when you can see them :P

As I understand, Oldsmobile were skeptical that anyone would like the minimalist grill on the '66, so they made it fancier on the '67, before they prevailed in getting one of the largest grills ever for the 68-69, lol. I can't stand the look of these years...

The thing I never cared for about the '70 was the lack of hidden headlights... This one that's been for sale in our for sale section still wow's me, the '70 with the hidden headlights from the '69
TOA #839

pudland

Postby pudland » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 am

Driver side done.... have a wedding to go to so.... passenger side will have to wait till tomorrow :x
Attachments
20120922_132206.jpg
Driver side
20120922_132206.jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 9049 times

pudland

Postby pudland » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 am

Rear shocks are done!! The rear sits totally different, even though the gas tank is out. Its good I didn't jump the gun and spend money on new leaf springs!

Onward to the front.....

Thanks,
Adam

Return to “Technical Talk”