66 toro wiring harness

Post your technical questions and information here.
duwen10
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

66 toro wiring harness

Postby duwen10 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 pm

I recently had a wiring harness meltdown. Had the wife and kids in the car going out to dinner and smoke started pouring out from under the hood. I am curious if any one has replaced their harness and where it was purchased.

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Re: 66 toro wiring harness

Postby gmrocket » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Had something similar happen to mine several years back - harness rubbed against the a/c expansion valve and shorted out. At the time, I was able to cut out the ~3" of molten bad wiring and spliced everything back together with very high-end crimp connectors that have lasted to this day. Several years of searching have resulted in finding nobody who reproduces these. If you can find a junkyard car, and they're around, you can try cutting one out and splicing it in on yours as an alternative.
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

duwen10
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

Postby duwen10 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

I have a complete meltdown of all wiring in the loom starting from my positive off my battery and alternator all the way to the fuse panel. Essentially I have to replace everything under the hood. My plan is to purchase a universal wiring harness. That will likely wait until spring. In the mean time, my wife seems to get a lot of pleasure teasing me about my 5000lb paper weight.

deaddds
TOA Membership Number: 8
Years Owned: 3 66s, 4 67s, 68, 2 70s, 81, 99

Postby deaddds » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Lectric limited can redo the entire engine harness if the fuse block is still good. You need to send them one and they have the patterns for AC and non ac cars. I think it was about $500 but its been a while. Way better than a junkyard loom.

Return to “Technical Talk”