455 front main seal

Post your technical questions and information here.
taddpole
TOA Membership Number: 983
Years Owned: 69 Olds Toronado W-34

455 front main seal

Postby taddpole » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:48 am

What is the process for changing the front main seal? I was hoping you can get it out using some type of puller? ;)

taddpole

Re: 455 front main seal

Postby taddpole » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:01 pm

taddpole wrote:What is the process for changing the front main seal? I was hoping you can get it out using some type of puller? I am hoping you don't have to pull then engine;)

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 am

Remove belts, remove crankshaft pulley(s) remove torsional damper bolt, heavy washer, and damper.

Pop seal out of front cover.

Inspect damper hub sealing surface for groove. If grooved, install repair sleeve or replace damper. This is a good time to clean the damper, paint a white stripe on the timing groove, and verify condition of the rubber bonding the hub to the inertia ring. "I" would install a timing tape or otherwise mark the damper for full advance, and at 90 degree intervals.

Clean crankshaft snout, verify key is in appropriate location, apply sealant to inside of damper hub to prevent oil seepage between crank snout and damper hub.

Lubricate seal lip (grease or oil, doesn't really matter), install into front cover EVENLY. Most seals have a coating to prevent seepage around OD, but some folks apply sealer before popping the seal into place.

Install damper, torque bolt and heavy washer to spec. Install pulley(s) and pulley shield, if used.

Install belts.

Depending on mileage of the engine, this is an excellent time to replace the timing chain and gears.

taddpole

Postby taddpole » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks for the info. It was pretty easy to replace. I am glad I bought a new harmonic balancer because the one I took off was really worn out. I haven't started it yet but hopefully it fixes my oil leak.

Return to “Technical Talk”