Diesel Vehical

Post your technical questions and information here.
Robert Lindberg
TOA Membership Number: 693
Years Owned: 4 years 1966 Toronado

Diesel Vehical

Postby Robert Lindberg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I know of a 1983 Diesel Toronado are they rare and hard to work on? Any extra value? Bob

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Diesel Vehical

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 am

Robert Lindberg wrote:I know of a 1983 Diesel Toronado are they rare and hard to work on? Any extra value? Bob

They are rare, and not much more difficult than a regular car, as long as you know the few quirks. I'm trying to find a 350 diesel for my El Camino, actually, so i've done alot of research. The biggest thing, is if it doesn't already have one, you MUST add a water seperator in the fuel line if you want it to be reliable.

As for added value... It's kind of a black mark against it really. By '83, the 350 diesels were vastly improved over the initial batch that was an appocalyptic failure, and killed the American diesel market, and still hurts it to this day. The only added value, would be if you stripped the engine and converted it to Gasoline. The 350 diesels made bullet-proof gas engines.

Furthermore, there is a small community that works on modifying and improving these motors, as diesels, and they can be made to be increadibly reliable, and even have a turbo added to them. Doing so requires internal modifications, but not as many as you'd think from their reputation. Yoy can also double, or even tripple their orriginal 90 hp.

If it's not something you're going to go for, if it happens to be in/near Minnesota, let me know, i'd love the engine for my Camino :D
TOA #839

Return to “Technical Talk”