66 Toronado Wheel Bearings

Post your technical questions and information here.
torobob
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 Toronado

66 Toronado Wheel Bearings

Postby torobob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Does anyone have a source for front wheel bearings for the 66?

I just pulled mine apart. What a struggle. The bearing was frozen into the steering knuckle. I finally popped the ball joints and tie rod end and took the entire knuckle assy to the press. I then used a torch to heat the knuckle surrounding the bearing and was able to press the bearing out. Then you need to get the bearing off the hub. There is no way to get to it with a press, so I used a torch to slit the bearing in two places, clear down to but not into the hub spindle, and knocked it off.

Maybe you have a better way, but this works. I read an account of one guy cuttine the CV axle in half to get things apart. Can't figure that.

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Re: 66 Toronado Wheel Bearings

Postby janeg » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:55 am

We got two new 66 bearings from the company below in 2006; some say this is the only place to get 1966 bearings though I've heard of people being lucky in their locality. They are pricy but correct. Shipment was very prompt. The gentleman's name is George Bachlada (uncertain of last name spelling). We paid $456 including shipping and some other accessory (can't remember what) that was $21 each.

BEARINGS, seals for: axles, clutch, differential, kingpin, pinion, transmission, wheels, all years. Olcar Bearing Co, 135 James Creek, Southern Pines, NC 28387, 910-693-3324.**25-YR**

I hope the information is still good and you can get them for your 66! Please let me know if the info is obsolete.

You might also consider posting an ad in the club magazine (see our classifieds page) or post under Parts Wanted on this forum. Good luck!
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:38 am

The obvious solution is to dump the front drum brakes, convert to disc brakes using the newer steering knuckle which also gets you the newer bearings.

I bet you could buy the parts for the same or less than the new bearings--but there'd be some extra labor in the conversion. Of course, the disc brakes are an upgrade in themselves.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm

I second Shurkey's comment. After my experience with a '67 Delta 88 with drums I will never drive another front drum brake car again. The swap is fairly straightforward if you have all the parts, and the parts can be taken from any 70's Toro or Eldo as long as you take the knuckle and upper control arm together.

Disks are easier to maintain and far superior in performance. Given the cost of bearings for your '66 it is probably pretty cost effective a swap.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

sworth66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe

Postby sworth66toro » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Just got a Kanter catalog in the mail today and it list the front wheel bearing for the 66 toro at $199 each and $29 for the seal. Here is the link, http://www.kanter.com///productdetail.a ... 80&Prc=340

steven

Return to “Technical Talk”