68 toro fuel tank

Post your technical questions and information here.
damalden
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: just purchased 68 toronado

68 toro fuel tank

Postby damalden » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Good Day All,

Luke and I dropped the tank this morning without any hitches by supporting it with a bottle jack, a 2x4 and some bricks.

There was a few gallons of what used to be gasoline, brown in color and worse than any varnish you could imagine. The inside of the tank looks pretty solid, no big flakes of rust, albeit grungy.

So I have to send it to be cleaned. Considered at first getting a kit and doing myself, but due to your valued responses, I will source out a radiator shop to 'boil' it out for me. After it gets cleaned is there any need for a sealer of some type? I am thinking just get the gas back in there and keep it full.

Being new to this car, I have no clue if what I removed from the top of the tank is a sending unit or a fuel pump. My guess is sending unit> either way its rusted to bits.

Searched for about half an hour but was not able to come up with a part number for a replacement. Also does that part come with a gasket, or will I buy that separately?

Is there a list of part numbers on the wild about cars site. I have the manuals from there, but did not see a parts number in sec. 12 of the service manual.

I really want to learn how to find these things all by myself

Thanks for any tips and advice

Return to “Technical Talk”