69 Toronado Brake Problems

Post your technical questions and information here.
taddpole
TOA Membership Number: 983
Years Owned: 69 Olds Toronado W-34

69 Toronado Brake Problems

Postby taddpole » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I just recently go a 69 toro and I am having some break issues. This car has factory front disk brakes. I have bleed them with a pnuematic brake bleeder and it has good pedal but it's like the power booster isn't working. I bought a new rebuilt power booster and master cylinder but it didn't help. There was some confusion at the parts house on what were the right parts. The one I put on was a bendix part with the deep socket master cylinder. In one book it said that booster was only for drum brakes and in another it said it was for all?? Could it be a vacuum leak? Maybe the proportioning valve? It will stop but you have to use both feet and push really hard. Even then it isn't close to locking up. The car has been driven very little in the last ten years. Any ideas.

pr129tbird
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 toronado owned since 1984!

Re: 69 Toronado Brake Problems

Postby pr129tbird » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Be more specific. When you say "good brake pedal" do you mean that its relatively "high" and dosnt go all the way to the floor when pressed? Next is the brake pedal very hard when you press it? If its hard check to make sure that you do have vaccum at the booster and that nothing somehow clogged up the vac line from the booster to manifold. Also you might have wheel cylinders that are frozen and not moving thus the reason it dosnt lock up the wheels nor grab that good. Pull off one drum at a time and have someone press the brake pedal. See if you notice BOTH pins of the cylinder pushed OUTWARD when the brake pedal is pressed. It could be something as simple as a $10 wheel cylinder/s Please let me know what you find! Im redoing the brakes on my 66 presently and have a similar situation but I have to rebleed them as I found a slight leak at one of the fittings. I ran ALL new lines, brake hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, etc.. Pedal was STILL low after bleeding and I felt like Torching the damned car after all that work! After walking away from it for a week, I later saw a small puddle of brake fluid under the drivers door around the spot where I splced the brake lines. (CORRECT FLARED line, connector fittings NOT compression fittings and do NOT ever used them in brake lines. Illegal and can be dangerous!!). Anyway I was able to pull down the line and tighten the fitting. So far no more leak, but I now have to rebleed the system. My Booster is original and when the pedal is ALL the way down there is a hiss and vac leak so I know it needs to be rebuilt as well now. THAT wouldnt give me my Low Pedal though!

Return to “Technical Talk”