Can't believe my cv boot posts has 35 views & not ONE reply!

Post your technical questions and information here.
pr129tbird
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 toronado owned since 1984!

Can't believe my cv boot posts has 35 views & not ONE reply!

Postby pr129tbird » Sun May 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Amazing with all these Toronados and ANY year is the same boot that noone responded. I guess noone else has ever had a problem with outter CV boots tearing/pulling off. Id really LOVE to know what kind of axles your all running!! :(

1970w34
TOA Membership Number: 38
Years Owned: 1970 multiple

Re: Can't believe my cv boot posts has 35 views & not ONE re

Postby 1970w34 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:01 pm

I get mine done at Cinnabar Engineering in Sandusky Michigan--they are GMC motorhome guys and do GREAT work.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sun May 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I've still got my factory orriginals from 1966 :P I don't imagine alot of people had trouble with them...

Also, they don't have the multiple pleats, it's just got one or two on mine I think...
TOA #839

pr129tbird

Postby pr129tbird » Mon May 14, 2012 11:55 pm

I am 200% sure I have two original sets of 66 Toronado axle shafts. The inner and outter boots most definitely ORGINALLY had boots with multiple folds in them. I think around 4-6. Definitely more then 1-2. I could email you a picture of an original 66 half shaft. I bought them YEARS ago from a Toronado collector who had about 10 Toronados (all years) sinking into the dirt floor of a damp barn. Sad because most of the cars had straight bodies and 20,000-50,000 original miles! This was back in the late 80s. He had bought these cars when they were only a few years old as "investments" but unfortunately they got badly weathered in the barn over the next 25 years. Mice got into the interiors over the years and chewed the hell out of everything and they were basically almost JUNK! :( VERY SAD!!!!

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue May 15, 2012 6:56 am

pr129tbird wrote:I am 200% sure I have two original sets of 66 Toronado axle shafts. The inner and outter boots most definitely ORGINALLY had boots with multiple folds in them. I think around 4-6. Definitely more then 1-2. I could email you a picture of an original 66 half shaft. I bought them YEARS ago from a Toronado collector who had about 10 Toronados (all years) sinking into the dirt floor of a damp barn. Sad because most of the cars had straight bodies and 20,000-50,000 original miles! This was back in the late 80s. He had bought these cars when they were only a few years old as "investments" but unfortunately they got badly weathered in the barn over the next 25 years. Mice got into the interiors over the years and chewed the hell out of everything and they were basically almost JUNK! :( VERY SAD!!!!

I'm pretty sure the originals looked like this:

That is the only kind I have ever seen at least, and that is what I have. (the pictured axle is a 69, but they were the same minus the input size)
TOA #839

pr129tbird

Postby pr129tbird » Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 am

Your axle shows the outter boot i am talking about. Its the replacement type with ONE fold in it. I've found that this pulls off or tears pre-maturely. The inner boot is the original, but NOT the outter. Here is a pic for comparison of what an original OUTTER boot looks like. Note one axle looks like yours while the other one has multiple folds on the boot.
Attachments
HalfShafts.jpg
HalfShafts.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 12426 times

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sat May 19, 2012 10:32 pm

1. I thought the shafts with the dampers were '66 right side only. Eliminated in '67 or maybe '68? Am I wrong?

2. I don't know of ANY place to buy boots from, of any style. Good thing I have a batch of axles...

Chazzer
TOA Membership Number: 146
Years Owned: 1968 Ocean Mist Metallic, purchased September 2005. Ripped into a kazillion pieces in 2010 for a full blown resto. A few more kinks to work out and she’s almost done.

Postby Chazzer » Sun May 20, 2012 6:06 am

Hey Guys,
My 68 has the damper on the right side still. Fenco now offers brand new axels for these cars. They are quite reasonably priced . They list both sides as the same...so no damper.

Of course they are made in China, but apparently pretty much all parts our now. I’ve been told that people are quite happy with their axels…can’t speak for these cars though.

I was told the trick to the Chinese parts was to make sure they are the professional grade…and not the plain box specials.

These axels are the professional grade.

Anyone have any experience with these Fenco axels?
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

pr129tbird

Postby pr129tbird » Sun May 20, 2012 10:40 am

As I knew ALL these Toronados 66-78 and Eldos had dampers on the right side. As for after market axles you are correct in that they make replacement ones and they can be had for reasonable prices $85-$110 on Ebay or internet. I recently bought a GSP axle for my Toronado. As you mentioned all these companies list right and left and 66-78 as the SAME. Now here's the deal...... As you might know 1966 used one type of axle with a very slightly bigger diameter "centering" area on the back of the inboard joint (part that bolts to the output shafts from the final drive unit). In 1967, late 66 the inner joint was changed to a tripod design and the diameter of the centering area on the inboard joint was decreased just slightly. Enough so that you could NOT put a 1966 axle in newer cars. How did they accomplish this with minimal cost? They used a thin centering ring that was pressed into the lip in the output shaft "caps" The ring is very thin and if you try to remove it, it shatters into pieces and falls right out. (I had to do this to allow a 67 final drive to accept my 66 axles). Anyway I wondered HOW they show a 66-78 axle one fits all??? Well because the back of the inboard joint is flat now and dosnt have a lip to center it. This leads to another problem... The bolts are a little smaller then the diameter of the 8 holes so I now have to get some type of sleve to pick up the slack between the hole and the bolts shaft because I will now have to rely on the BOLTS to center the axle! If I dont do this it will be slightly out of round and cause a vibration and probably make the axle fail early. I went with a GSP brand as it looked almost identical to the original 1966 design, even the inboard joint! I havent installed it yet so I cannot comment.
Attachments
gsp cv.jpg
gsp cv.jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 12405 times

Return to “Technical Talk”