ATF, or Power Steering fluid?

Post your technical questions and information here.
Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

ATF, or Power Steering fluid?

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:40 pm

I noticed the other day, that my '66's power steering pump says to fill with Dexron II ATF. And, indeed, there is transmission fluid in there right now. I've still got a couple of quarts of Dexron VI leftover from my transmission which I am considering throwing in there. But, before I did, I thought I would ask, which is better? Power steering, or ATF? Or does it make zero difference?

Thanks.
TOA #839

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Re: ATF, or Power Steering fluid?

Postby Schurkey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:38 am

Twilight Fenrir wrote:I noticed the other day, that my '66's power steering pump says to fill with Dexron II ATF. And, indeed, there is transmission fluid in there right now. I've still got a couple of quarts of Dexron VI leftover from my transmission which I am considering throwing in there. But, before I did, I thought I would ask, which is better? Power steering, or ATF? Or does it make zero difference?

Thanks.

If you can find Dexron II, go ahead and use it. Newer Dexron isn't suitable. If you can't find Dex II (and that's a pretty good bet) use genuine power steering fluid.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Schurkey wrote:Newer Dexron isn't suitable.

Alrighty, thanks! I think I actually saw some dex II at o'Reilys yhe other day. Curiousity begs me to ask, why not though :P
TOA #839

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Twilight Fenrir wrote:
Schurkey wrote:Newer Dexron isn't suitable.

Alrighty, thanks! I think I actually saw some dex II at o'Reilys yhe other day. Curiousity begs me to ask, why not though :P

New ATF is much "thinner" than the older stuff; and it's got friction modifiers suitable for use with the clutch and bands of transmissions--but not for PS systems. Result is that ATF has become much more "specialized" than it used to be, when it was mainly just a variation of hydraulic fluid.

If you're looking on the store shelves, you won't see "Dexron" on the label of anything but Dexron VI. The older versions of Dexron are obsolete, GM won't license the name for any but the newest stuff. You might see "Dex-Merc" on the label, though.

Return to “Technical Talk”