Allignment points...

Post your technical questions and information here.
Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Allignment points...

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Alright, got my bearings out with a combination of an air-chisel, cuttoff wheel, and a big hammer/screwdriver. Huzzah!

Still at the same place with the torsion bars though.
TOA #839

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:56 am

Well, another forum pointed out that in all likelyhood my body to frame bushings are probably shot, which is why I have no room. Makes sense to me.

Was also told, that since i've got my knuckle out already, I should be able to just let my lower control arm down, which will effectively unload it for removal. Huzzah!
TOA #839

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 am

I am not so sure that just letting your lower control arm down is going to allow you to remove it without unloading the torsion bar. Of course, you can always use the adjuster screw which might release it sufficiently to get you where you need to go but I am not sure it will take enough of the force off.

Why again are you removing it anyway? Unless you plan to replace the bushings - something I highly recommend given the age of these cars - you do not need to remove the lower control arm.

As for the upper bushings, I recommend replacing them too. I used urethane bushings from Shurkey here on the forum and I have to say it is tighter than it was brand new. In fact, it might be a bit too tight for some as my slightest steering input results in an immediate output. Great for precision driving, not so much for casual driving. You may want standard rubber bushings which probably are not quite as twitchy.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah, i'm rebuilding my suspension while i'm at it. I bought the Kanter kit.

Guy said he'd done it that way before... Worst case scenario is I gotta do it the regular way if it doesn't work.....
TOA #839

Return to “Technical Talk”