GV overdrive

Post your technical questions and information here.
travistoronado
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966-68

GV overdrive

Postby travistoronado » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:28 pm

how would i and where would i get an GV overdrive to help the fuel economy of my 67?
also is it difficult to install the electronic fuel injector?

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: GV overdrive

Postby xgecko » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 am

I strongly doubt you can install any kind of overdrive as it would have be incorporated into a highly customized final drive - remember, these cars are FWD and there is no driveshaft between the final drive and the transmission which is where the GV overdrives are installed. The closest thing to an OD is to change the chain gears on the back of the trans to something other than a 1:1 ratio. There is a now-defunct kit of some sort that does this, you can track it down through the GMC motorhome community.

As for fuel injection, if you go with a throttle-body design, it is as simple as making sure the particular throttle body in question will fit under the hood then it is just a matter of installing any sensors such as the O2 sensor and, depending upon the kit, tuning the fuel injection to the right fuel-air map.

I am going with a much more complex system that requires the aluminum intake made by Gary Rockwell which has injector bosses cast in.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “Technical Talk”