Is the Qjet leaking? Hard to start after three days

Post your technical questions and information here.
tera155
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Is the Qjet leaking? Hard to start after three days

Postby tera155 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I noticed on my 66 Toro when it sits for three days it takes at least three very long cranks to start. Once started and warmed up all subsequent starts for that day are fine.

I had the carb rebuild about ten years ago -- but that is only about 500 miles ago.

I looked to see if the carb squirted after sitting a few days -- it didn't.

When I took the carb off the carb gasket looked very wet especially around the front primaries.

I am told this is a symptom of plugs leaking and draining the fuel bowl. I couldn't tell looking at the card turn upside down.

I live in Colorado and have been told that ethanol mixed gas evaporates quickly here -- maybe in three days -- but the wet gasket makes me think it is evaporation.

I tried to post a photo of the gasket but I could figure that out.

Welcome your thoughts -- cheers, Thad Dupper

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Is the Qjet leaking? Hard to start after three days

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:22 pm

I'd be willing to bet it's the fuel bowl plugs... I thought I had resolved mine last time with jb-weld, but it came back. I'm going to tap the holes, and shove a slotted piece of threaded rod in there with some epoxy. Should be a permanent solution. Had to do that on the aluminum plug on the front of the inlet elbow as well...

3 days, I would say, is not long enough for evaporation to empty the bowl.
TOA #839

68 Toro
TOA Membership Number: 99
Years Owned: 1968

Re: Is the Qjet leaking? Hard to start after three days

Postby 68 Toro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:22 pm

I have experienced this exact problem since I purchased my 1968 Toronado in 2004.

I have had my entire fuel line replaced from tank to mechanical fuel pump, the carburetor rebuilt, new fuel pump installed, and multiple other things looked at and worked on. I have been told that the fuel bowl is not leaking, the choke is set correctly, the engine vacuum is adequate, there is more than enough cranking power (new Robb Mc performance starter & Optima battery).

When cranking my engine first thing in the morning, the fuel in the carburator bowl does its thing. The engine fires up then after a second or two, dies. Repeated cranking, 3 times usually, results in sustained engine running. What is happening?

I believe that fuel in the fuel line drifts back to the tank overnight. All that cranking in merely turning the mechanical fuel pump, drawing fuel from the tank up to the carburetor, at which point sustained engine running occurs. All of my mechanics have disagreed with me, as have several highly-respected TOA members and authorities.

Usually I suggest that an electrically-driven auxilliary fuel pump mounted just ahead of the fuel tank would solve the problem. Push the button to run the pump for 8 seconds, then turn the key. This works for carbureted airplane engines having fuel tanks located physically below the engine in the wings. It should work for my Toronado.

My mechanic promised to try this, the next time I bring him my car for something else. I'll let everyone know the results (probably next year some time).
Dave B.
1968 Toronado
Miami, FL
TOA # 99

Return to “Technical Talk”