steering shaft conversion

Post your technical questions and information here.
Hwy78Cruiser
TOA Membership Number: 1373
Years Owned: 1966

steering shaft conversion

Postby Hwy78Cruiser » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:26 pm

The "rag joint" on my '66 steering shaft decomposed and is toast. I can get a new one by Borgeson (US made). However, my shop is recommending I switch over to a Borgeson telescoping/collapsible shaft, for improved safety and a tighter "feel" in the steering. Seems like worthy advice.

Anyone have any experience, good, bad, or otherwise, with such a conversion?

Thanks in advance.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: steering shaft conversion

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:58 pm

I've never heard of it. How is it safer?

I'd swap out the faulty part(s) and leave well enough alone. No need to fix what ain't broke on an antique car.

Hwy78Cruiser
TOA Membership Number: 1373
Years Owned: 1966

Postby Hwy78Cruiser » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:23 am

That's the way I was leaning Otto so thanks for helping sway me with some good old fashioned reasoning. Increased safety due to collapsing steering shaft in the event of a head-on.

Mark

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:00 pm

I get that a lot with my cars that only have lap belts and a couple that have no seat belts at all.

A collapsing steering column isn't going to make much of a difference if you're in a wreck bad enough to need one.

Also, head-on collisions are extremely rare under normal driving conditions in normal modern cars. I'm sure you're paying extra close attention while driving your Toronado. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It's like the dual reservoir master cylinder "upgrade" argument. Why? Every car I own with the exception of the 1979 Ford pickup has a single reservoir brake system. Never once in my entire life have I experienced a loss of brakes. Open the hood frequently and pay attention to everything on your car and you won't have to worry about total brake failure.

Return to “Technical Talk”