Firestone TFD Tire

Post your technical questions and information here.
3rdWrightBrother
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 68 Toronado

Firestone TFD Tire

Postby 3rdWrightBrother » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Just wondered if anyone has reproduced the TFD tires. I have the spare tire from the 66 Toro I had, it's obvious from the back of the wheel that it was mounted on the car, but don't know if they rotated tires and never mounted it again after that or what. Tread depth is approximately 12/32 ", don't know how that compares to a new tire. Tire is a Firestone Deluxe Champion, 8.85-15 with the TFD on the sidewall.
Coker Tires website doesn't list anything for the Toros. In one spot it mentions that they use original Firestone molds to reproduce tires. Does anyone know if it's insufficient demand that has prevented the TFD's from being reproduced, or do the molds no longer exist. Someone told me an original tire could be used to make a new mold but don't know if that's true or not. I'll try contacting someone at Coker to find out.
Russ
Attachments
100_8479_edited (Small).JPG
100_8479_edited (Small).JPG (54.97 KiB) Viewed 17665 times
100_8478_edited (Small).JPG
100_8478_edited (Small).JPG (58.83 KiB) Viewed 17665 times
100_8477_edited (Small).JPG
100_8477_edited (Small).JPG (47.47 KiB) Viewed 17665 times

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Firestone TFD Tire

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm sure I speak for alot of people when I say... If you figure out a way to get them reproduced, let me know!

I found 3 1st-Gen Toro's in a salvage yard 'round here, I've been planning to go check and see if the spare tires are TFD's or not. But it's quite a drive, and haven't gotten around to it yet.
TOA #839

Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

Postby Graniteman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Coker is who comes to mind first for me also, I'd think they would have to be the best bet.
My question would be why would you want them?
Totally correct resto?
I wouldn't want to drive on bias ply tires; they just don't compare to modern radial tires.
Please don't get the impression I'm being critical, just curious.
TOA # 70

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 am

Graniteman wrote:Coker is who comes to mind first for me also, I'd think they would have to be the best bet.
My question would be why would you want them?
Totally correct resto?
I wouldn't want to drive on bias ply tires; they just don't compare to modern radial tires.
Please don't get the impression I'm being critical, just curious.

Well, I don't know about him, but I'm not doing a 100% correct resto... (almost) But, they are a piece of the history of the vehicle. How many other cars had tires made just for it? Not alot.
TOA #839

Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

Postby Graniteman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:12 am

??????????????????????????????????????????????????
TOA # 70

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:35 am

Any word on this?
TOA #839

lorne6667
TOA Membership Number: 622
Years Owned: 1966 toronado standard
1967 toronado deluxe

Postby lorne6667 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 am

I've been on Cokers website and could not find TFD tires on there.
I have near perfect TFD spare that may have been on the ground only once.
I like the way it looks in my trunk, it's nice to see what belongs there in such nice condition, along with a complete jack assy. also in fine shape.
I watched a TFD tire mounted on a chrome wheel go on e-bay once , i think the auction closed over 400 bucks.

Sparky
TOA Membership Number: 116
Years Owned: 1966/67 Toronados (several). 1934 Olds F-34 1934 Olds L-34 (with side mounts) 1977 Eldorado

Postby Sparky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Early original TFD tires in exceptional shape are very hard to come by, and if you do, get out your Platinum Card as they go for HUGE money! I must have 8-9 original Firestone TFD/FWD skins but wouldn't put them on a car. Also, Larado (I believe made by Goodrich) made a FWD version for Toronado and possibly Eldorado early on too, as I have a few of those as well.

The few Toros I have seen at car shows with OEM original TFD tires were ALL trailered and not ever driven on farther than the show line. That's very wise too.

Trying to find reproduced TFD/FWD tires in correct size, with thin white walls, and in a bias ply tire is not going to be easy. If Coker doesn't have them, they probably don't exist yet. That, and probably 95% of the Toronado buying public would prefer radials anyway for obvious reasons. So that might be why they aren't being made at this time.

However, I'm sure bias ply's are available without the TFD/FWD designation that would come closer to OEM correct than anything.

Sparks

Sparky
TOA# 116
TOA Vice President
TOA Technical Advisor Carburetors
http://www.sparkyscarbs.com

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Sparky wrote:Early original TFD tires in exceptional shape are very hard to come by, and if you do, get out your Platinum Card as they go for HUGE money! I must have 8-9 original Firestone TFD/FWD skins but wouldn't put them on a car. Also, Larado (I believe made by Goodrich) made a FWD version for Toronado and possibly Eldorado early on too, as I have a few of those as well.

The few Toros I have seen at car shows with OEM original TFD tires were ALL trailered and not ever driven on farther than the show line. That's very wise too.

Trying to find reproduced TFD/FWD tires in correct size, with thin white walls, and in a bias ply tire is not going to be easy. If Coker doesn't have them, they probably don't exist yet. That, and probably 95% of the Toronado buying public would prefer radials anyway for obvious reasons. So that might be why they aren't being made at this time.

However, I'm sure bias ply's are available without the TFD/FWD designation that would come closer to OEM correct than anything.

Sparks

Well, I'm not a perfectionist by any means, I'd settle for having a modern radial tire that looks like, and has the correct markings for a TFD, personally :P I'd like to have one original to bring to car shows and such, but that'd be about it....
TOA #839

Sparky
TOA Membership Number: 116
Years Owned: 1966/67 Toronados (several). 1934 Olds F-34 1934 Olds L-34 (with side mounts) 1977 Eldorado

Postby Sparky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Well, having a TFD/FWD molded into a modern SBR will probably not ever happen. :( That aside, a modern SBR will never have the same look/profile as an OEM type bias ply tire. They are simply just way too different of a design.

Most folks with REALLY nice Toros are running Michelins, BFG, Goodyear, Tiger Paws, Red Stripe, or Siberling tires. This is not an inclusive list either. Your biggest problem will NOT be the size of the tire, typically a P235-75 or P235-70 (J/L 78-15), but rather finding that size in with 1" whitewall.

I LOVE the idea of toting around an original T-FWD skin for show and tell though! But man, I would NEVER drive my Toro on them, more than a few blocks at 10 mph. :)

Sparks

Sparky
TOA# 116
TOA Vice President
TOA Technical Advisor Carburetors
http://www.sparkyscarbs.com

Return to “Technical Talk”