Leaking Rochester Carburetor

Post your technical questions and information here.
roland
TOA Membership Number: 860
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado DeLuxe
1970 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

Leaking Rochester Carburetor

Postby roland » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:43 am

Fine example of a leaking Rochester Quadrajet. Toro smells in the garage like a gas station every time. Lot of black/blue smoke from exhaust after start - every time.
The 4bbl carb was remanufactured by Holley some times ago. But I do not believe they take a closer look to the plugs in it.

Left side of intake was flooded every time. The fat black/blue exhause smoke was the reason of to much fuel after every start.

No words...

Think, Holley did not do a closer look to the plugs. This is the real situation after unscrew the base plate.

Have to clean the hole and plug with brass brush (Dremel) and seal em with JB Water Weld. Hope that works...
Roland TOA#860

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Re: Leaking Rochester Carburetor

Postby gmrocket » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:04 am

Roland - reach out to Greg “Sparky” Kalkhoff. He’s a Quadrajet restoration expert and did my ‘67’s 7027131 carb. JB Weld works on the well-plugs but it’s by no means permanent. I believe Sparky has his own technique that is truly permanent. Tell him I sent you!

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Return to “Technical Talk”