89 toro headliner

Post your technical questions and information here.
89trofeo
TOA Membership Number: 1536
Years Owned: 1992 trofeo
1989 trofeo

89 toro headliner

Postby 89trofeo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:19 am

we recently bought a 1989 trofeo that is in great shape but has a sagging headliner...who on the forum has tackled this project and can share some insights as to how to replace the headliner....the fabric is in great shape but it is just real saggy...i have heard that the winshield has to be removed to get the headliner out....who has actually done this?...thanks....mike

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 89 toro headliner

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:35 pm

I haven't done it on a Trofeo but I've done it on other '80s GM cars.

The headliner is glued to a foam backing which is itself glued to a piece of cardboard in the shape of the car's roof. The foam backing disintegrates in between the cardboard and headliner fabric causing the fabric to hang loose.

You'll have to buy new foam and headliner material (unless the original is still usable and can be fully separated from the old foam.)

I can't answer your question about having to remove the windshield but I haven't seen other GM cars of that era that required removal of the windshield in order to install a headliner pad.

Once you remove the interior trim around the pad it should be obvious whether the windshield has to come out or not. I don't believe it will, though.

SMS Auto Fabric may have the headliner already attached to its foam backing.

roland
TOA Membership Number: 860
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado DeLuxe
1970 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

Postby roland » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:24 pm

I have done it on a `88, `89 and `91 Toronado Trofeo. It´s no need to remove the windshield.

As Otto told, you have to remove the complete interior: seats, rear side panels, upper moldings around and at last the complete headliner cardboard. The only way to get the cardboard out of the car is through the passenger door. Good luck with you. The plastic interior parts are horrible to remove without cracks! Don`t try it with seats at places.

You cannot use the old headliner anymore. It´s nearly impossible to glue the old very thin headliner to new foam without folds or wrinkels. You need new material. The new headliner (include foam) is ready to fit at the cleaned cardboard. Let it dry over night before you try to install it again.

The cardboard is pressed paper, very fragile and it´s possible to crack. Take time and be cool. You can glue it with water resistant wood glue and some layers of newspaper. Let it also dry over night BEFORE you glue (with strong spray glue) the new fabric on it.

New headliners on my 1988 and 1991 trofeo:

Roland TOA#860

89trofeo
TOA Membership Number: 1536
Years Owned: 1992 trofeo
1989 trofeo

Postby 89trofeo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:53 pm

Many thanks! Will put the info into use soon. Pics to follow. Thanks again, appreciate this forum.

Return to “Technical Talk”