Battery Cable Size

Post your technical questions and information here.
NicolasB
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Battery Cable Size

Postby NicolasB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 am

Does anyone know the recommended negative battery cable size for a first gen Toronado? Right now mine has 4 gauge but the old one on it was a 0 gauge (stripped and exposed). Would it be better if I switch back to 0 or 1 gauge? Auto parts stores only have 2 gauge available, but Rock Auto has 1 gauge. Would this also help fix my isssue of the interior lights and headlights getting brighter when I press the gas?

NicolasB

Re: Battery Cable Size

Postby NicolasB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 am

Also would adding a battery disconnect be a good idea?

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 am

I use the heaviest cables I can find on all my vehicles. Heat is an enemy of electricity and it's hot as hell under a Toro hood. Thicker cables handle electricity better.

Why do you want a disconnect? Anti-theft? Time saver for constant under hood work? I don't have battery disconnects on any of my vehicles.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 pm

The battery disconnect would be for both of those anti-theft and convenience when working under the hood, but I don’t know if it would cause my RetroSound Radio to go crazy. I am going to install a kill switch, but wanted to go the extra step in making it harder to be stolen.

What gauge wires does your Toro have? Would a 2 gauge be adequate? I was also thinking of putting another 2 gauge on the cable but it connects to the body of the car.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Yes, I think my car has 2 gauge. The cable on my Cadillac is as big around as your thumb.

The bigger the better in my opinion. Always makes for good starts, no overheating of cables, etc.

Return to “Technical Talk”