Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Post your technical questions and information here.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Postby xgecko » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:47 am

Hi All,

I am in the process of installing the HP EFI Universal Kit on my 1969. I had tried the MSD Atomic EFI and the Holley Sniper EFI, both which are Throttle Body Injection intended to directly replace the Carb.

What I found is that the MSD did not seem to have good low speed performance after starting the car - parking lots were a real bitch - and the Sniper worked better under those conditions while having other issues related to the fuel I found pooling in the Intake due to the geometry.

I am at the stage of milling the RPM Aluminum Intake I use, and once I get the system up and running, I will post an article about it.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm

How did you fit an aftermarket intake manifold under your hood?

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm

I am using, as noted in my OP but apparently not very clearly, the RPM Aluminum Toronado Intake. I will be welding in the bungs that come with the kit - I originally planned to use the Bosses cast into the Manifold, but they are vertically oriented and I need to angle the injectors at 30 from Vertical to aim them into the intake port.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:19 pm

So that is an aftermarket manifold for Toronado? I never knew such a thing existed.

Does it eliminate the heat riser crossover?

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:45 pm

Not cheap:

https://mondelloperformance.com/product ... manifolds/

No heat riser, you can see that in the image.

Here is the EFI Kit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-550-500

42 LB/Hr injectors:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-522-428

Here is the Distributor that will provide a Crank Trigger signal:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-565-206bk

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Nice. I'd like that manifold but I'm not ready to mortgage the house.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 pm

I hear you. I have now been through three EFI efforts, each of which runs around $4,000 to $5,000 when all is said and done. I have also built the Motor twice, so I guess it all fits under the Money Pit heading...

If it works this time, and I have every reason to think it will - and it is what I wanted to install from the get-go anyway - I am looking forward to being back on the road with a very driveable car.

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:00 pm

I was thinking about installing EFI on my Toro in the future, but as of right now, considering the cost and complexity, nothing beats the simplicity and affordability of a carburetor. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have an EFI, especially for gas mileage, but that job would cost a bit more than half of what I paid for the car itself. I’d consider if manufacturers are able to sell them for less than $1,000.

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:02 pm

Wow I thought EFI setups were about $2,000! $4,000 is what I paid for my Toro haha

How long have you had your Toro? Were the two rebuilds due to driving it a lot?

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:38 pm

I first got into Toronados in the early 80s, I had a 1968 W-34 with the console shifter. I would kill for that now... well, the console shifter and maybe the trans, but the car was junk after existing only 11 years as I lived in New England at the time

This one I purchased in 2010 out here in the Seattle-Tacoma area in good condition, rebuilt the motor myself but did not do the oil restrictors for the bottom end, and I did not balance it. As such, it had a vibration at 2,500 to 3,000 or thereabouts and then a bearing went while I was passing someone under hard acceleration.

I had it rebuilt by a shop who balanced it, and I upgraded to a full roller cam and full roller rockers with Edelbrock aluminum heads.

I did the first EFI for about $3,000 or so in actuality, where the Atomic EFI kit was $2,300 or so. Then I got the Sniper, which needed another $1,000 or so of various this and that to set up given my circumstance.

Finally, the MPI HP EFI kit was about $3,000, then there was the Holley Dual-Sync distributor to give me a Crank Trigger, and the Injectors which do not come with the kit, for a total of $4,000 to my house.

Then there is the TIG Welder I just bought to weld the bungs in - $1,000 for the entire thing, but it is a damn nice machine to go with my Miller MIG welder. I needed it to do the Aluminum Welding on the Bungs.

I have around $20,000 or so into the engine alone now, with another $10,000 or so into the car which I paid all of $3,250 for in 2010...

Money Pit. That is what they call these things, and I would not have it any other way given the fun factor associated.

Return to “Technical Talk”