GM Passkey on 4th Gen Toros

Post your technical questions and information here.
DelCoGreg
TOA Membership Number: 1471
Years Owned: 1990 Toronado

Postby DelCoGreg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 am

Hello all,

Had something with my 1990 happen last week that some may find of interest. I went to start it and nothing happened and the Driver Information Center displayed the message "Starting Disabled". I checked the battery and some connections, but everything looked okay. I started reading through my service manual and one of the drawings seemed to indicate that the Passkey was what triggered a signal to enable starting. I did some reading over the internet and it seems to be a common problem with GM Passkeys and their chips getting worn out over time. I switched to my other key and it seems to be good now. The one website seemed to indicate that there is a way to disable the Passkey system ( I am concerned as to what happens if the other key chip gets worn down). Has anyone done this on their Toro? Let me know your experience.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:18 pm

Except for some very expensive military units, integrated circuits are not
so well sealed, and moisture can eventually do them in. That or cosmic rays.
I would disable that function if you can. good luck, Bruce Roe

Hoog
TOA Membership Number: 296

Re: GM Passkey on 4th Gen Toros

Postby Hoog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:00 am

I had the same message many years ago on my 92 Trofeo ... and this is going to sound strange, but it was immediately after an earthquake. I've heard in the past that quakes put out electrical disturbances. In any event, the issue cleared with the Trofeo in about 4 hours. Actually, the same day, my wife's Mitsubishi Eclipse also refused to start. Hers did not clear. We had AAA tow the car to Mitsubishi dealer ... and the next day, the mech went to take a look and it started fine. No charge. But very odd.

Return to “Technical Talk”