Fuel Tank Replacement

Post your technical questions and information here.
Willysnut1959
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Fuel Tank Replacement

Postby Willysnut1959 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Stilling having fuel delivery problems on my '66 after rebuilding carb, installing new in-line fuel filter, hoses and hard lines (all the way back to the tank, and fuel pump. Car ran out of fresh, no-ethanol, high octane fuel on my last test drive with 15 gallons in the tank. I pulled the tank yesterday and found outside top of tank to have caked dirt and rust. The exterior bottom looks to be in excellent shape. Due to it raining all day, I have not yet opened it and looked inside. When I dumped the last bit of gas out of the fill tube, significant particles of rust came with it.

Contemplating my next move. I have two other used Toronado tanks I could install or 2) sandblast the original one and have it boiled out and lined, or purchase new tank. I would prefer to use a new fuel tank, float and sender unit, but can not find a replacement tank for this car.

Original tank looks similar in size to the one I replaced in my '72 Cutlass. Differences appear to be the filler neck, location of fuel hoses connection points, and location of air bleed. Suppose that I could cut the fill tube from a new tank and solder on the one from my old tank.

Does anyone know where a new tank for my car can be purchased? Any thoughts about how I should proceed?

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:30 pm

I've not been able to locate new tanks for the '66 Toro.

I'd send the best one you have to Gas Tank Renu or use one of the fuel tank sloshing compounds from Eastwood. I used the Eastwood product on a 1964 Galaxie back in the 1990s and it's worked perfectly. No leaks or further rust since.

https://www.gastankrenu.com/

Return to “Technical Talk”