Motor Oil Recommendations

Post your technical questions and information here.
NicolasB
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Motor Oil Recommendations

Postby NicolasB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:22 pm

Does anyone know what type of oil I should use for my ‘69 Toronado? It has 10w-40 in it right now and I believe it’s for high mileage. I heard that older cars need a higher concentration of zinc compared to newer ones. Not sure if higher mileage has more zinc than regular conventional oil, but I’m afraid to use diesel oil because of the high amount of detergents it has. There is Lucas Hot Rod oil, but is it any good? Any other recommendations (that can be bought from an auto parts store rather than online)? Also is the viscosity I’m using fine? Thanks!

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Motor Oil Recommendations

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 am

Hi Nicholas,

I use Shell Rotella T-4, 15w-40 diesel oil in my cars. It has a higher zinc content. Whether it's providing additional benefit to my engines I don't know but it's not going to hurt them.

Do not use diesel engine oils or high zinc oils in cars with catalytic converters. It will shorten the converter's life.

Here's a site where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about every type of oil.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/whats-in-your-motor-oil/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am

Ah okay, that makes sense. Mine doesn’t have a cat so it should be good to go! How often would you need to change this oil since it’s not conventional?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Its the same as any other oil, just formulated with more zinc for diesel engines.

I stick to the 3 month or 3000 miles whichever comes first rule of thumb simply because that's what I've been doing all my life. Modern oils are certainly much better today than they were when these cars were built. Oil is better today than it was even 20 years ago so if you wanted to you could go 5000 miles.

Personally I view oil changes as cheap insurance so even if I owned one of these modern cars with oil change intervals recommended at 10,000 miles, I'd never wait that long to do it.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 pm

Ah okay. I know this is really bad practice but classes have gotten in the way of me changing the oil and I haven’t done so since June :shock: . The oil is black and low so I know for a fact that I gotta replace it tomorrow. I gotta keep track of that more often. Thanks for the advice Otto!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:16 am

Black just means the oil is doing its job - holding dirt in suspension. That's not as critical as being low on oil.

Check the level frequently and keep it topped up to the full mark.

Return to “Technical Talk”