Distributor Cap/Spark Plug Wires

Post your technical questions and information here.
NicolasB
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Distributor Cap/Spark Plug Wires

Postby NicolasB » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Hello again, I am thinking of replacing my distributor cap/rotor and spark plug wires because my Toro bucks when I press the gas (hesitates then kicks hard as if the transmission is bad) and a ticking sound is heard somewhere along the distributor (sounded like the lifters but debunked it under further inspection). Earlier today, it was also having trouble idling on a stoplight. If my thought-process is correct, I was planning on buying a Duralast distributor cap and rotor (made by Wells Vehicle Eectronics) and Duralast spark plug wires, but have never bought stuff like this from that brand before. Can anyone tell me how good they are? The store nearby (Autozone) only has that distributor cap/rotor in stock, but Oreilly’s has AC Delco, Standard Ignition, and MasterPro caps available . Thanks!

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Distributor Cap/Spark Plug Wires

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:32 am

I've always used Standard "Blue Streak" ignition parts when I can get them. They've always had a good reputation. Of course, these days, you never know what's Chinese crap and what isn't.

I put a Standard dizzy in my mom's '64 Galaxie about 10 years ago and its working fine.

Duralast is Auto Zone's house brand so there are a lot of different manufacturers of those parts depending on what part it is. I've used their plug wires before without a problem.

I use Standard Blue Streak and BWD Select dizzy caps whenever I can because they're all brass terminals instead of aluminum.

Rock Auto has Blue Streak plug wires, too.

Rock Auto sells a Cardone dizzy rebuilt with Standard parts. I've found Cardone parts to be good quality. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/old ... butor,7108

Here's a discount code for Rock Auto: 156599580111608727 enter it on the line that says How did you hear about us?

Tuco
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Postby Tuco » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:20 am

Get rid of the points and put in a Pertronix. You will also need the recommended coil. You won’t be sorry. And you’ll never have to mess with points again. Look for them at Summit Racing.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:11 am

For the Standard Ignition Blue Streak Performance wires, will I notice any difference compared to the old ones (assuming the old ones were still good)? The ones on the Toro right now are Triple-A 7mm Silicione wires, but I have never heard of them before.

Update: I am going to buy the Standard Ignition wires later today at O’Reilly and WVE distributor cap and rotor from Rockauto.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:14 am

Thanks Otto for the discount code!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:39 am

I don't know if you'll notice a difference that you'll be able to attribute specifically to the plug wires but after replacing all the ignition parts with new ones, I'm sure you'll notice a difference in how the engine runs, overall.

The main thing is to find good quality parts which is getting harder to do these days. It used to be that just about any new part was as good as the next one. Not so anymore. That's why I stick to parts I'm familiar with and keep using them. I'll often by multiple units of parts like dizzy caps, points, etc. when I find a good one because you never know when they'll be discontinued and replaced with crap.

I just looked up the WVE and its all brass so that's good. I don't like Distributor caps with aluminum terminals.

Wow! I just looked at the price of those Blue Streak plug wires on Rock Auto. Holy Smokes! Of course they're 8.5 mm compared with the 7mm Standard ones. I'm sure you'll get good performance from them.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:22 am

Haha yeah, $80 is too much for me, especially being a college student. They also have them at O’Reilly for a more reasonable (but still a bit expensive) $57.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:26 pm

That's unusual because Rock Auto is usually a lot less on many things than the local stores.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 am

Okay so I got the wires, but the only problem is that one of them is hitting this tube that goes to the air cleaner. Did you leave it as is when you installed yours Otto? Also, do I need to put dielectric grease in the boot before installing?
Attachments
7A0A10A4-0E9C-4B56-9D0D-FA3EE06057E1.jpeg
7A0A10A4-0E9C-4B56-9D0D-FA3EE06057E1.jpeg (85.18 KiB) Viewed 19045 times

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Is that part of the California smog control garbage? My car doesn't have that. I would put something in there as an insulator and to keep the wire off the tube.

Maybe a small piece of foam plumbing pipe insulation slipped over that area to keep the wire and boot away form the tube?

Return to “Technical Talk”