Car Shuts off on steep incline

Post your technical questions and information here.
NicolasB
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Car Shuts off on steep incline

Postby NicolasB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 pm

My house’s driveway has a steep incline and until today I drove my 69 Toro up on it. As it got steeper the car started to shake and eventually shut off. Now I can’t turn it back on and can only roll it down by putting it in neutral. I changed the fuel pump and rebuilt the carburetor, so I’m assuming that it’s just normal (for carbureted vehicles)? Or is there something else that could cause this? Thanks.

Tuco
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Re: Car Shuts off on steep incline

Postby Tuco » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:33 am

Nope. That’s not normal.

It sounds like a fuel problem. At first I would say fuel pump but since you replaced it...
Maybe the pickup in the fuel tank is getting clogged.
Do some tests like disconnect the fuel line at the carb and put it in a coffee can. Have someone turn the engine over and observe the flow into the can. You should see big spurts of fuel going in. If not then check the filter and the sender where the pickup is located.

Also, even though you replaced the fuel pump it could still be bad. Sometimes they sit on a parts shelf for years and the rubber can deteriorate in the box. I have had that happen more than once.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Like Tuco said, try driving up the hill while feeding the fuel pump from a 1 gallon gas can. You can tuck it in on the passenger side between the fender and radiator support area. Fasten it in with zip ties if necessary.

If it conks out, you know the problem is between the pump and the carburetor (inclusive).

If it works just fine, then you've got a clogged fuel line, fuel pickup or some other issue with the fuel line and/or tank. New tanks and new pickups aren't available so be careful removing it.

When it conks out, put it in park and set the parking brake. Get out and remove the air cleaner and work the throttle by hand. While you're doing it, look straight into the carburetor and see if you see the accelerator pump squirting jets of fuel into the carburetor throat.

If not, then disconnect the fuel line at the carb and have someone turn the key and see if fuel is even reaching the carb. Do all of this while the car is still parked on the incline.

If you aren't getting any fuel at all, then I think your problem is in the tank since the pump will probably put out at least some fuel even if defective since it starts and drives on level ground.

My money is on the fuel pickup in the tank but you have to rule out everything else, first.

Another problem might be a stuck float valve or a float incorrectly set in the carb. It seems unlikely, though since the problem was unchanged after the rebuild.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Does this car have AC?

Non AC cars don't have fuel return lines, ac cars do. I would make sure both lines are clear. Use low psi compressed are (or your mouth) to see if you can blow through the fuel return line. Do the same with the fuel supply line. It should be easy to blow through both of them if they aren't clogged up.

Tuco
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Postby Tuco » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:20 am

If it turns out to be the pickup in the sender I was able to find one for the 66/67 Eldorado that worked fine.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 am

There is fuel coming out of the line and the car started for a brief moment, but died a few seconds after testing. I guess the problem lies in the fuel tank. I was planning on having the tank cleaned at a shop and for the meantime find a replacement fuel sending unit or fix it myself so I can see if I can solve the issue with the fuel gauge. Is the pickup part of the sending unit or separated?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes, it's one thing.

Maybe a leaf or something is in there blocking it.

Try one more thing. See if you can drive up the steep hill backward.

Just to be clear, all of this happens with a full tank of gas, right?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:03 pm

You're really going to know this car like the back of your hand with all these crazy problems you've been having, Nicolas

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Haha that’s true, it’s basically telling me that it needs to be taken care of. I think the car has about half a tank to three quarters but I am not completely sure because the fuel gauge didn’t work when it was on the incline (now it sort of works after I worked on the instrument panel, but reads past full). Fortunately, I was able to bring it down and once the incline became less steep, the car turned on. I can probably see if I can also fix or replace the sending unit for the fuel problem, as well as the gauge.

When I checked the back of the fuel gauge, there is a screw sticking out and a bolt screwed in it. Is that for ground? I tried to use a wire and ground it to a piece of metal in the body but it didn’t do anything.

Return to “Technical Talk”