CV Joint Boot Available and Simple?

Post your technical questions and information here.
rt_toro_67
TOA Membership Number: 750
Years Owned: 1967

CV Joint Boot Available and Simple?

Postby rt_toro_67 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi Everyone. I always appreciate the great advice I have received here-many thanks in advance. My son was under the vehicle recently for the first time in a long time, and he noticed that we have a missing CV joint boot on the passenger side. I am attaching pictures of the driver's side (booted) and the passenger side, where an exposed rod can be seen. I haven't laid under it myself to get a look, but I'm kind of confused by what looks like two rods. I am sure that it is in fact the CV joint with no boot.

Does anyone have experience knowing if boot kits are available, and is the process fairly simple? Any links or resources anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

- Roy
Attachments
1594836387953.jpg
1594836387953.jpg (110.48 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
1594836382000.jpg
1594836382000.jpg (137.06 KiB) Viewed 8681 times

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: CV Joint Boot Available and Simple?

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:31 am

They are available.

Search this site for other threads on this subject. I replaced an outer boot on my car with a Speedi-Boot which required no disassembly of the joint. It works perfectly. I think I posted the part number but inner and outer boots are different , I think.

For front drive parts, one of the best sources is the GMC Motor Home restorer, http://www.appliedgmc.com

https://www.gmcrvparts.com/product-p/g861064d.htm

I would call them and ask for Jim instead of trying to search their website. He is the founder of the company and is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:44 am

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:04 am

I had difficulty understanding the second photo until I realized that the cv boot is still there, just not covering the axle. There is only one shaft, not two, and yours is exposed. The boot has come off the small end and torn down the side while remaining partially attached to the wheel end.

I would buy a Speedi Boot kit if you don't feel like taking the entire wheel assembly off the cv axle. It basically zips up the side with glue and little screws, and clamps at both ends. I replaced the same boot on my car a few years ago.

I used a hose clamp on the big end because I couldn't get the crimped factory style clamp to close properly.

Speedi Boot part# 03609 for the outside joint. I got it at Auto Zone.

My car is a '66 but I think its the same diameter as yours.

rt_toro_67
TOA Membership Number: 750
Years Owned: 1967

Postby rt_toro_67 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Otto Skorzeny wrote:I had difficulty understanding the second photo until I realized that the cv boot is still there, just not covering the axle. There is only one shaft, not two, and yours is exposed. The boot has come off the small end and torn down the side while remaining partially attached to the wheel end.

I would buy a Speedi Boot kit if you don't feel like taking the entire wheel assembly off the cv axle. It basically zips up the side with glue and little screws, and clamps at both ends. I replaced the same boot on my car a few years ago.

I used a hose clamp on the big end because I couldn't get the crimped factory style clamp to close properly.

Speedi Boot part# 03609 for the outside joint. I got it at Auto Zone.

My car is a '66 but I think its the same diameter as yours.

@Otto--you are invaluable! I will get a look at the car soon then pursue your advice, and report back with findings. Many thanks!!

Return to “Technical Talk”