69 Toronado Stalled

Post your technical questions and information here.
Tuco
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Re: 69 Toronado Stalled

Postby Tuco » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:55 am

Get a large syringe (one for injecting turkeys before frying) and a small can of gas.
When you put the new pump on inject gas into the line going to the tank before you put it on the pump.
Do the same with the supply line. Inject gas into the line from the carb down to the pump. This will help prime it.
I would still put it into a can and turn the engine over to see a good flow before hooking it up to the carb.
Sometimes they can be hard to prime.

Hope that does it for you.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Don't worry about the vapor lock thing just now. Evidence seems to be pointing to a bad fuel pump. Normally, if it was vapor lock, the car would start right back up after it cooled down - especially if it sat over night.

Elevation is only about a mile difference so that shouldn't have any real effect. You have to be crawling over the Rockies or something for a carburetted vehicle to notice the difference, and then it will usually manifest itself as a rich condition in the fuel mixture so you'd smell gas, maybe see smoke and experience some rough running.

Post back after you install the pump and let us know how it goes.

I bet the pump was failing and only pumping a partial amount of fuel while you were on the flatlands. Once you hit the steep hill it couldn't do the job anymore.

When deathanol killed my fuel pump, it expanded the diphragm in the pump to the point where it would only hump half the specified amount of fuel in a given time. At slow city speeds it would run ok but would stutter and/or conk out if I gunned it or attempted to drive fast. Going up hill would cause total conk out.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Nicolas,

Buy this factory service manual. It'll be the best $35 you ever spend on your Toronado. Can't beat free shipping!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Oldsmobil ... SwNIhek08C

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Mon May 04, 2020 4:44 pm

The new pump is in (along with a new thermostat housing) and the car feels better than ever! Thank you guys for helping me make it road-worthy again! (Next stop: new battery!)

Here’s a video of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_yNQKdlnLq ... 018h43o6u9

Return to “Technical Talk”