Power Steering Leak

Post your technical questions and information here.
rt_toro_67
TOA Membership Number: 750
Years Owned: 1967

Power Steering Leak

Postby rt_toro_67 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 am

Hi Fellow members, thanks in advance for any expertise anyone can share.

I have owned my '67 for 11 years, drive it very little during the summer only, and the power steering system has had a leak that has grown progressively worse over these years. For the last several years, it is to the point that practically the entire system will drain (onto the garage floor of course) in a matter of two weeks.

The trunk was filled with parts when I received the car, including another pump, which makes me suspect that the pump was replaced by the previous owner. I am attaching two photos, not that I think they are very insightful. Within the last week I completely refilled the pump, maybe overfilled it, and I noticed while the car was running that fluid was shooting out from a pinhole in the cap. This could be simply as designed to handle being overfilled with fluid, or could this indicate some sort of pressure issue in the system other than the pump and hoses?

The plan will be to start by having the pump rebuilt and replace the hoses. Side question-I see that for the return hose, all the parts sites say "must be cut to length." I assume there is no pressure fitting on that one and would be easy enough to just clamp in?

But before we do the pump and hoses, just wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar issue and learned anything about potential problems other than the pump and hoses.

Thanks in advance. Everyone stay healthy!!
Attachments
IMG956509.jpg
IMG956509.jpg (65.32 KiB) Viewed 14607 times
IMG956508.jpg
IMG956508.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 14607 times

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Power Steering Leak

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:50 pm

The power steering return hose is non pressurized and normal hose clamps can be used. You can buy whatever length you need from the local parts store. The high pressure, output side has crimped, threaded fittings and can't be made by the average DIYer.

Overfilling the system will definitely result in fluid being purged from the vent in the cap. My '66 Toro and my '79 Ford pickup will both purge fluid from the vent hole if overfilled.

Since there is no dipstick on the Toro ps reservoir, it's hard to tell where to fill it. The manual isn't any help, either. I fill mine so that it comes to the bottom of the filler neck when cold. When hot, you'll see that it comes up about halfway in the filler neck.

As for the leak, my '66 also had the same type of leak you describe. It started small, got worse and then would leak almost completely out if the car sat for a week or two.

Believe it or not, I added Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and the leak disappeared. As it leaked out, I added the Lucas to the point where an entire quart bottle was eventually used. (~$25 quart)

Since I had no sloppy steering , squeaking or other issues with the system I figured I had nothing to lose by adding the stop leak rather than taking the whole system apart.

I had previously used this product in my '56 Cadillac with great success.

It's been several years in both vehicles and the leak hasn't returned. If the leaks return, maybe I'll actually track down the exact source and repair or rebuild the component but so far the Lucas has bought me time.

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:45 am

Thank you so much Otto! We will keep that in mind. However, your response is very on point when you mention other issues such as screeching. We have always had horrible screeching when the car starts up. It diminishes once the steering is activated for a while. I'm pretty much a novice to technical matters, until I take care of an issue once anyway. So, would the screeching be indicative of a larger problem other than the leak? Thanks again!!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:11 am

I'm guessing the screeching is a result of low fluid level. When it warms up, it expands and the noise goes away. Might also want to check the belt tension - loose can squeal, too tight can squeal and screech. Look at the sides of the belt to see if they're shiny - indicates slipping. If the belts have been on there a long time or you don't know when they were changed, new ones would be a good idea anyway.

Keep adding the Lucas and topping up the system as it leaks out.

I'm betting new belts and Lucas will cure your problems.

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks so much @Otto!! Will give this a shot and see how it goes before tearing everything apart. Take care!!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:33 am

Post back with the results. I'm curious to see what you find re belts and if the Lucas product solves your problem.

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks again Otto, I will. Purchased the Lucas additive yesterday, and of course now the fluid level is too high to get any in there yet :). We will know over the next few months. Stay healthy, and I'll post back. Appreciate your advice!!

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Otto Skorzeny wrote:Post back with the results. I'm curious to see what you find re belts and if the Lucas product solves your problem.

Otto, I just wanted to thank you very much. It seems indeed that Lucas did the trick. Almost hard to believe, doesn't seem to be leaking anymore. Many, many thanks!!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:35 pm

That's great rt Toro. I'm glad to hear it. It's worked for me on both the Toro and my '56 Coupe de Ville.
Did you put new belts on the car, too? Has the screeching gone away?

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Otto Skorzeny wrote:That's great rt Toro. I'm glad to hear it. It's worked for me on both the Toro and my '56 Coupe de Ville.
Did you put new belts on the car, too? Has the screeching gone away?

Hey Otto, and thank you again for the fantastic advice. I'm not sure about the screeching, my son drives the car primarily. The belts look good. But again I cannot believe something as simple as the Lucas really cured a huge problem. Your advice was spot on and we really appreciate it!

Return to “Technical Talk”