Toronado carburetor differences

Post your technical questions and information here.
Mfnheff
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1970 toronado

Toronado carburetor differences

Postby Mfnheff » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi. I have a 1970 toronado. 87k miles. Runs so good. But it has an edelbrock carb on it, with the goofy adapter required to use such a carb.
I want to install a quadrajet. A proper 1970 toronado qjet seems like a tall order. Im not really concerned about "correctness" more than driveabilty. With that said...i have a couple of olds quadrajet, but when I look through application data, i see the toronado carb has its own number for every year. The biggest difference I can see between a toronado carb vs other models is the throttle/cruise hook-up. Is there anything else? Other than choke actuation, of course. But I can work with that using an electric choke conversion. Like i said, driveabilty is main concern.
Anyone have a picture of a 1970 quadrajet mounted on a toronado intake?
Thanks in advance

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Toronado carburetor differences

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:50 am

I have a '66 Toro so I can't answer specific questions about your carburetor but you might want to contact Tim Hewitt at Daytona Parts Company. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of virtually every carburetor ever made. He can probably tell you about yours and whether or not the Q jets you have on hand can be rebuilt to 1970 Toro configuration.

He did a fantastic job rebuilding the carb for my Toro which appeared to have been originally set up for a 330 engine.

Daytona Parts Company Carburetor parts and total rebuilds.
386-427-7108
http://www.daytonaparts.com
mail@daytonaparts.com
Ask for Ron Hewitt or Tim Hewitt.

Mfnheff
Years Owned: 1970 toronado

Re: Toronado carburetor differences

Postby Mfnheff » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info!
I ended up using a quadrajet from a 73 toronado. So that should be pretty close, I can always make jet changes if needed.

Return to “Technical Talk”