Wiring bugs and problems

Post your technical questions and information here.
followme21
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

Wiring bugs and problems

Postby followme21 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:56 pm

So last fall i was having a no start issue.. Both starter/soilnoid were good. I ended up finding a purple wire from the ign switch that I spliced into and ran it out to the starter solinoid.. Boom it started I fiqured that wire was broke somewhere between the switch and the starter, so I left the wire there.. Today I had it out for the first time this year, and about 15 mins into the drive it started missing cutting out etc.. I made it home and opened the hood and noticed a wire smoking... Its kind of an cloth insulated wire (the only one like that) . I cut it before it melted.. Anyway I traced it and it eventualy splits into a black wire that goes the the + side of coil and then to the starter solenoid. The other end of it goes to the back of the fuse panel.. Appers to go to the fuses maked "olds 8131-a" as well as "trans" now thats it's cool I can wire it back together and it starts.. Im running factory breaker points. Any thoughs as what in the heck to do or check next?

followme21
Years Owned: 66 toronado

Re: Wiring bugs and problems

Postby followme21 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm

So I poked around a bit more and discovered both of the small wires going down to the starter had gotton against the exhaust manifold and melted to it, so direct short.. Problem 1 solved. Still dealing with a relay lower left of dash that has something to do with power windows. Im getting no click and no windows.. When I bypass it the windows work. Its a 3 terminal relay, a red with white tracer, a black, and two pinks going to the same terminal. Not sure if perminatly bypassing would be a good idea or not.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Wiring bugs and problems

Postby bcroe » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:24 pm

That special cloth wire is the ballast resistor for your ignition coil. Normally it
limits current from the ignition circuit to the coil. But for starting ONLY, a wire
from the coil end goes down to the starter and gets connected directly to 12V.
Without the ballast in place, your points will soon burn out.

You might want to fix the big purple wire as well. Bruce Roe

Tuco
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado
1951 Cadillac
1957 Pontiac
1965 Impala

Re: Wiring bugs and problems

Postby Tuco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:17 am

Check to see that you are getting 12v at the relay when the ignition is on. Check to make sure the ground is good at the relay. If yes to both of those then the relay is probably bad.

I personally wouldn’t leave it jumped for good.

Return to “Technical Talk”