removing a power window motor

Post your technical questions and information here.
Matt
TOA Membership Number: 1189
Years Owned: 1968

removing a power window motor

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 pm

I have a '68 Toronado and have a non working power window motor in the drivers door. How do you get it out? there is no access to the 3 bolts that attach it to the regulator. I tried unbolting the regulator thinking it would slide back in the door to the opening in the inner metal panel, but this did not work.

I would appreciate any guidance on how to do this.

Thanks

Matt

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Re: removing a power window motor

Postby bcroe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:30 pm

On all my cars, there were 3 rivets holding the motor to the inside
door panel. Drill these out to remove, I replace with bolts to replace.
good luck, Bruce Roe

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:37 am

Hi Bruce,

The '68 does not have rivets and the bolts are not accessible. I will keep trying!

Matt

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:46 am

I haven't seen the inside of a '68 Toro door panel but there's a similar problem on certain Ford F-150s.

The in service solution is to drill access holes in the inner door skin to reach the rivets in the motor.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:00 am

That maybe the best way. It was something I was thinking about, it just seems odd to drill holes to do the job.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:56 pm

The odd thing about the F150 is that there are dimples where you're supposed to drill. Why didn't Ford just punch out the holes when they made the thing in the first place? Weird.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Otto Skorzeny wrote:The odd thing about the F150 is that there are dimples where you're supposed to drill. Why didn't Ford just punch out the holes when they made the thing in the first place? Weird.

I have seen that, did not know how the 68 did it. I believe my cars had
the dimples for locating power locks as well. Probably so the dealer could
quickly add the option. Some of my (used) cars came with power windows
(that always fail) but no power locks (that I can really use). Bruce Roe

Loaded 68 W34
TOA Membership Number: 1442
Years Owned: 1968 w-34
1972 vista cruiser pro touring
1972 holiday coupe (442 clone)
1966 chevelle convertible

Postby Loaded 68 W34 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Not sure if you got this figured out yet, but I will tell you how I did it. I have been doing frame off restorations on 60's and 70's GM cars for almost 20 years now and the window regulator setup in my 68 Toro door is the most complicated I have ever seen. My issue was with the passenger side power window motor. It worked fine for one or two cycles and then it would stop because the internal circuit breaker in the motor wasn't making a good connection (turned out to be very corroded once I opened the motor up). After a cool down period, it would again work for a few cycles and then stop. After looking at the regulator assembly for awile, I decided to separate the motor from the aluminum housing that bolts to the regulator rather than trying to get the regulator out of the door completely to remove the whole motor assembly. If you do it this way you simply unbolt the back of the motor from the aluminum case that holds the worm gear assembly. The large circular plastic gear driven by the worm gear will stay in place, but the armature and worm gear must be removed. If you are trying to rebuild the original motor use extreme care when removing the motor shaft as the brushes and circuit breaker are on a very thin board at the base of the motor and if the armeture is allowed to come out, it will breake this board. Once the motor housing and worm gear are out, you can use these parts from a working motor to bolt back up to the aluminum case. You just need to make sure to get the cases aligned properly. Get it installed the way you want it, snug the bolts down and run the motor. If it is binding or struggles under load, you may need to loosen the screws and move the motor case around slightly. Repeat this process until the motor is working smoothly, then tighten the bolts. Hope this makes sense, but if not let me know and I will take some pictures to show what I am talking about.
Tom

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:50 am

That's pretty good. I'm glad I have hand cranks on mine!

Return to “Technical Talk”