Front brakes

Post your technical questions and information here.
Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Front brakes

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello everyone
I need some Advace I restored my car last year
But the brakes weren’t anything special
I had to get them Machined too many times
And the passenger side did most of the braking
I want to replace them now but I want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff anyone have any Advace for me I’m very confused on which drums they all look the same and shoes

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Front brakes

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm

My experience buying drums for virtually any car these days is that they are utter crap straight out of the box. They're virtually all made in China and the castings look like copies of copies of copies - very rough and cheap looking compared to the original.

I bought drums from Rock Auto for my '66 Toro and purchased AC Delco brand - as if that might mean something. Nope. They were crap. The fins were not nicely formed like the original and very rough.

Fortunately I have a friend with a muffler and brake shop who turned all of the drums because none were perfectly round. He also had to machine off about an 1/8" of the step on one because the side of the brake shoe rubbed on it.

Once they were trued up they work fine. Normally I don't paint brake drums because it acts as a heat insulator. I would suggest spraying a light coat of grey on whatever new drums you buy because they'll rust over immediately. The originals had no paint and no rust because they are of a superior construction.

I'd be willing to bet that all the different brands of Toro drums come out of the same factory in China. If you are able to find good NOS drums or good used ones with meat left on them, I'd use them instead of the new crap available.

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Toronadotrofeo wrote:Hello everyone
I need some Advace I restored my car last year
But the brakes weren’t anything special
I had to get them Machined too many times
And the passenger side did most of the braking
I want to replace them now but I want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff anyone have any Advace for me I’m very confused on which drums they all look the same and shoes

WHAT CAR? '66 Toro?

Convert to discs in front, and include a two-chamber master cylinder instead of the OEM single-piston. This gets you better braking, additional safety, and lower-priced wheel bearings should you ever need them.

I might still have the OEM drums and backing plates from my '66, but I'd have to look for 'em, and shipping would be very expensive. Retaining drums in front isn't a great idea. Drums in the rear are fine.

Willysnut1959
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Willysnut1959 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am

Each time the drums are turned to remove scoring they become less concentric with new brake shoes. Find a brake shop that can radius your brake shoes. When the drums and shoes are not concentric, the shoes press only on a portion of the drum, limiting there effectiveness.
Marty , St.Louis, MO
2-1966 Toronados

Return to “Technical Talk”