Lane Wander / Steering

Post your technical questions and information here.
GrantRees
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado

Lane Wander / Steering

Postby GrantRees » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:42 am

Power steering issue

I have a 69 Toro. Been driving it as I work on it. I’ve been partially through the front end but have not been able to eliminate the front end wander. It’s not terrible but it does have a bit of lane wander or drift which can be a bit disconcerting on narrow winding roads of which we have plenty.

That having been said I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to attempt next to address this. To date I’ve: replaced all control arm bushing with urethane ones. New front wheel bearings. Replaced upper and lower ball joints. Replaced the stabilizer bar mounts and the end bolts with rubber bushing. Replaced inner tie rod ends. Out seemed okay (as did the inner) but were kind of hard to source so I left them on. Still wanders around a bit more than I'd like. It seems like it will wander about a foot or so based on irregularities in the lane. It does not have a steering stabilizer / damper.

It’s up on the rack (two post) and I’m looking the steering over carefully and just can’t find the “play”. It seems it’s come down to the pitman arm, idler arm and the steering box itself. With the motor running if I reach in and turn the steering shaft by hand there seems to be almost two inches, probably a little less, of “play” at the steering wheel before the pitman arm moves - I put a band of white tape on the wheel for good visibility back through the windshield. With the motor off it’s about the same on the steering shaft / wheel rotation before the slack takes up and it becomes hard to move (because the motor is off). I’m thinking this is the issue - that the steering gear is worn out. Maybe someone ran it way low on fluid before the car came to me. How much “play” should there be in the steering shaft or column, with the motor off, before things tighten up due to lack of hydraulic assist?

I was pricing a replacement power steering gear at the local parts shop and talking with the clerk who seemed to be under the impression that it was far more likely that the center link was worn than the steering gear and that I couldn’t see it because it all “hanging” on the two post which sucks up any slack in the steering.

Any thoughts or suggestions on isolating the true source of the problem? I’m inclined to replace the power steering gear and if that doesn’t do it move on to the center link and, heaven forbid, if it still wanders turn to the idler and pitman arms. None of these parts are inexpensive. It's about the same job to change any of the parts from what I see in the old service manual. I’d rather hit the right one the first time and get it fixed. While it's apart I may as well change out anything that needs done rather than serially taking it apart and putting it back together - although that's one way to get good at a job. Without that wander it would be an absolute joy to drive. It’s pretty nice as it is with a nice smooth ride and it tracks pretty straight - I had it aligned after the ball joint / tie rod / bushing work.

Is there an easy way to tell if the center link is the issue or which part is. I can’t see any play in the Pitman arm at the box, nor on the center link. I can't see the ldler arm so well when moving things.

Any help, insight, suggestion or constructive criticism would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Grant

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Lane Wander / Steering

Postby bcroe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:06 pm

I have first gone after a mushy RAG JOINT connecting the column to the steering box.
After that is stiff, a little more toe in might help a lot. Bruce Roe

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Lane Wander / Steering

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Doing all that by yourself is tough. It would be easier if you had someone to turn the wheel from lock to lock while you were underneath. You'd be able to see the first point in the system where things start to hook up.

Bruce probably is right.

I just replaced the rag joint in my mom's '76 F 150 and man, did it make a night and day difference. The truck wasn't too bad before and was easy to drive but you definitely wanted both hands on the wheel .

The steering coupler / rag joint looked ok but after I got it off it was obvious that it had a lot of play and the urethane was crumbling in my hands.. I think the Toro uses masticated rubber but it's probably softened up over the years if it hasn't dried and torn.

Rock Auto has one for $18

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/old ... upler,7418

GrantRees

Postby GrantRees » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:25 am

I'll give changing out the coupler in the steering column a go before trying anything else. It looks to be relatively cheap and hopefully easy. Thanks for the thoughts, gentlemen.

grant

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:17 am

Post some pictures and let us know how it turns out when you're finished.

GrantRees

Postby GrantRees » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:23 am

Here's the rig. some of the floor work done. and, I think with the motor out for some top end work. wish i would have changed out the timing chain while I had the motor out - don't know what i was thinking.
Attachments
Toro3.JPG
Toro3.JPG (639.5 KiB) Viewed 11702 times
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG (565.95 KiB) Viewed 11702 times
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 11702 times

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:30 pm

That's nice. Nice color. I can just make out the rag joint but not well enough to see if it has any visible damage.

Yes,changing out the timing chain and gears would have been advisable. The timing gears have nylon coated teeth that GM thought would make the engine quieter.

Over time, the nylon becomes cracked and brittle and starts flaking off into the oil pan where it could possibly clog the oil pump.

Return to “Technical Talk”