ignition bezel removal

Post your technical questions and information here.
CarguyNye
TOA Membership Number: 1300
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado deluxe
1969 Pontiac Bonneville convertible

ignition bezel removal

Postby CarguyNye » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Does anyone have any experience or tips for removing the chrome bezel that secures the ignition lock to the front panel? I have tried following the steps in the manual but have only been able to remove it about half way and now it seems pretty stuck. Also, I have tired inserting a paperclip in the little hole to get the lock removed from the ignition but it does not budge. I really want to remove the front panel that houses the gauges and I believe this is the final obstacle to making that happen. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: ignition bezel removal

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:50 am

What year car? (although I imagine if the key's in the dash they're probably all the same )

When you tried to remove the switch, did you feel it move at all? I think maybe you didn't turn the key far enough to the left to unlock it or the paper clip isn't pushing the release tang far enough in.

I've never removed my Toro switch but the procedure is the same on another GM car I own and it pops out just like the manual says.

CarguyNye
TOA Membership Number: 1300
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado deluxe
1969 Pontiac Bonneville convertible

Postby CarguyNye » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:28 am

It is a 66 Toro and I did turn the key as far to the left as I could but to no avail. I will keep trying though.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am

Seeif you can turn the key to the left and reach around back and try to turn the unit to the right - wiggle or shimmy. It might shake loose. I'm thinking maybe diirt or something in keeping the key from going all the way. \

Spray some canned air (like they sell to clean computers) into the lock and even the little hole if possible. Maybe 50 years of grease/gunk has built up in there.

Return to “Technical Talk”