1980 distributor HEI module

Post your technical questions and information here.
twiss
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1980

Postby twiss » Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 am

Hi All,

Im desperately trying to find information on the HEI modules from an 80 Toronado distributor...
I'm using it for junkyard timing control to boost an engine.
I understand that the various models of HEI unit do different things.

The model I have, is a 5 pin, 4 large pins and 1 small. LX330T is the part number I think.
I was hoping that this model reduces ignition timing advance when starting, to make the Toronado start easier.
But it doesn't seem to do anything at all... I've got it with coil feed + and - going in one side (pins B+C), and distributor pickup signal coming out the other.
I was expecting it to run just with normal timing like this, and then delay the timing when the small pin is grounded.

Also I was told that there are 3+ models of the HEI module, and some are for use with a knock sensor, and some are just activated when starting.

Any information on this would be amazing, and if anyone has one for sale I would definitely take it!
Can anyone tell me if the 1980 distributor has vacuum or not?
I have found re-manufactured distributors from Cardone, but they can't tell me if it's the correct one.

Thanks in advance! :)

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Wed May 09, 2018 2:46 pm

It that a 5L Olds V8? I believe that was the first year of the CCC system with
a digital engine control module. That system connects to the HEI module to
control spark timing, no vacuum module or advance weights. Running that
module requires a pulse string from the engine control module. However
there may be a limp home mode that will run the engine without the control
or any extra advance. Bruce Roe

twiss

Re: 1980 distributor HEI module

Postby twiss » Wed May 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah its the 5.0 or 5.7 v8. I think that is the newer model that I already have which uses an ECM signal, and the older one is just earthed when starting. The instructions I found show earthing the small pin through a pressure switch. Im using a 1psi switch so any boost would "retard" the ignition timing using the module.
I think I've got the newer model and need the slightly older one.
Annoyingly it seems to completely block the signal from the distributor to the coil, and I have no idea how to test if it is actually working, and don't know if this module should allow it to pass through!

If I knew that there's a vague chance I could replicate a signal to trick it!

bcroe

Postby bcroe » Wed May 09, 2018 3:37 pm

The 79 Eldo with 350 Olds EFI, uses a special module and an ESS wired to
it, to allow retard starting or advance cruising. It still has vacuum and weights.
Jacobs made a unit to allow retard from the dashboard, I have used one.

Seems to me, you need a full blown electronic ign control (such as the CCC has)
that you can program to handle your engines operation.

Who is Brian? Bruce Roe

twiss

Re: 1980 distributor HEI module

Postby twiss » Wed May 09, 2018 5:52 pm

lol sorry Bruce, I don't know why I thought Brian! It's 2.30 am here so losing my mind a little bit :)

Unfortunately its going on an I4 Suzuki Engine (Samurai), so swapping the updated GM distributor into it is a no go :(
I also have a whole megasquirt injection system to hook up, but I'm really interested to boost it with the carb and distributor as more of a technical exercise...

I actually found a bunch of new info on these modules though

Firstly:

The 5-pin module came in 3 versions, they differ in type of input signal to retard the ignition. All the 5-pin modules are used with distributors having conventional centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms.
1. HEI/EMR Electonic Module Retard, this is the one described here, it originally used various input signals to an electronic controller, that provided a ground signal to activate the retard mechanism.
2. HEI/ESC Electronic Spark Control, uses knock sensor and an electronic controller to provide a voltage signal to the module to activate the retard mechanism.
3. HEI/ESS Electronic Spark Selection, uses signals from pressure or vacuum, temperature and distributor into an electronic controller to provide a voltage signal to the module to activate the retard mechanism.

So, the version I already have is the HEI/ESC unit. The version I need is the HEI/EMR unit.
My part number for the wrong item is the LX330t... can't remember the manufacturer but it was on amazon :)

Here are suitable part numbers for the 5 pin EMR unit!!!

Niehoff: DR406
Borg/Warner: CBE22
GP Sorensen: EL119

Now, I didn't manage to find any of the Niehoff or the GP Sorensen (possibly because I'm trying to get them from Europe) but I did manage to find the Borg Warner CBE22!!!

bcroe

Postby bcroe » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm

I would expect, the megasquirt system could be set up to handle all your needs.
Here we use the better EFI systems with the CCC HEI, no vacuum or weights.
Perhaps it uses a 7 pin module, would have to dig one out to check.
good luck,
Bruce Roe

Return to “Technical Talk”