Eldorado brake calipers

Post your technical questions and information here.
dap8
TOA Membership Number: 1390
Years Owned: 1952 MG
1949 Packard
1976 Eldorado
1966 Toronado

Re: Eldorado brake calipers

Postby dap8 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 pm

Problem solved. Left side hydraulic hose was rust clogged so fluid could not return and release left side brake pressure. Ordered hose from Rock Auto: $19.58.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 pm

Probably should do the other side hose, too.

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:22 am

Question to Bruce and all: I'm pondering a front disc brake conversion on my '67 Deluxe but really hate the idea of having to swap wheels because of the clearance requirements of the discs/calipers vs. the original drums (and I have two sets of chrome drum wheels I don't want to give up). My local hot rod shop, who has experience in Toros, Eldos and GMC motorhomes says a spacer of maybe 3/4" plus longer studs on the front will allow continued use of the drum-style wheels. Anyone try this or know for sure?
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:57 am

gmrocket wrote:Question to Bruce and all: I'm pondering a front disc brake conversion on my '67 Deluxe but really hate the idea of having to swap wheels because of the clearance requirements of the discs/calipers vs. the original drums (and I have two sets of chrome drum wheels I don't want to give up). My local hot rod shop, who has experience in Toros, Eldos and GMC motorhomes says a spacer of maybe 3/4" plus longer studs on the front will allow continued use of the drum-style wheels. Anyone try this or know for sure?

I made 1" spacers for my '66, with the idea of running disk brakes and drum rims in the front. With some caliper grinding, the rims did fit, but I ended up using disk brake rims (I did this because I used similar calipers with larger pistons).

gmrocket
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:14 am

Thanks Mikel - appreciate the quick reply and confirmation that it's doable. Probably would make the stance look a little better up front too.
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:15 am

gmrocket wrote:Thanks Mikel - appreciate the quick reply and confirmation that it's doable. Probably would make the stance look a little better up front too.

I very much like the wider stance up front. No noticeable effects on torque steer or braking.

gmrocket

Postby gmrocket » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:21 am

Cool - and I keep my two sets of drum chrome wheels and trim rings too! Thanks again...
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Please let us know how you like the upgrade once you finish.

gmrocket

Postby gmrocket » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:46 am

Mikel and all,

Just obtained the front end and all brake plumbing from a '71 Eldo. Will start disassembling the parts to take to sandblasting while obtaining all the new stuff I need (bushings, rebuilt calipers, rotors, bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends). My car is still with my restorer but assuming I see it later this summer, my intent is to have everything ready for the front-end disc brake swap. My understanding is that although I have everything off the donor car, I only need the upper control arms and steering knuckles (and associated hardware) for the suspension part of the swap, correct? Thanks in advance!
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:17 am

gmrocket wrote:Mikel and all,

Just obtained the front end and all brake plumbing from a '71 Eldo. Will start disassembling the parts to take to sandblasting while obtaining all the new stuff I need (bushings, rebuilt calipers, rotors, bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends). My car is still with my restorer but assuming I see it later this summer, my intent is to have everything ready for the front-end disc brake swap. My understanding is that although I have everything off the donor car, I only need the upper control arms and steering knuckles (and associated hardware) for the suspension part of the swap, correct? Thanks in advance!

Hi Gregg,
I don't remember if the lower control arms are different, but I used them anyway. Should be easy to see if the mounting points for the kingpins are different.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Mikel

Return to “Technical Talk”