Kanter disc conversion kit

Post your technical questions and information here.
tera155
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Kanter disc conversion kit

Postby tera155 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Just received my March 2018 Hemmings and saw an ad for the Kanter 66 Toro disc conversion kit. In the past I thought this was an outdated and no longer offered kit but I see it currently listed on their website for $1275.

Anyone know if this is legit and if the kit is worthwhile. Thank you Thad Dupper

Otto Skorzeny

Re: Kanter disc conversion kit

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Thad,

I'll give you my experience (and others) with Kanter products. I used a Kanter kit to rebuild the suspension and steering on my 1956 Cadillac.

The parts essentially fell apart within a couple years' time. The rubber virtually disintegrated and the king pins showed more slop after a few years than the originals that I replaced. Springs sagged lower than the originals that I removed. Subsequent to my experience I have heard from many others who have had similar experiences with poor quality, Chinese made Kanter parts.

A friend in Australia had his Kanter rubber parts disintgrate before the car ('57 Cad) was ever put on the road. They deteriorated while the car was on stands undergoing restoration.

An engine rebuilder preferred to use my original pushrods and rocker arms rather than the Kanter products because they were of such inferior quality.

I would never buy anything from Kanter unless it was the absolute last choice on the planet. Do some more searching for other complaints about Kanter and make your own decision.

Now, regarding a disc brake conversion: Why?

Contrary to popular belief, disc brakes will not improve your braking performance or shorten the stopping distance of your car. In fact, the stopping distance may increase with discs. The ONLY advantage disc brakes have over drum brakes is their ability to resist fade under repeated and prolonged, high speed applications.

How often are you driving your Toronado under such abusive circumstances? Unless you are auto crossing the car or riding the brakes down Pike's Peak every weekend, a disc brake conversion is a complete waste of time and money in my opinion.

I use my '66 Toro as a daily driver (sharing duty with a '56 Cadillac) and I have never felt that the brakes were not up to the task. I don't baby my vehicles but I don't drive them beyond their design capabilities, either.

The best thing you can do to improve your Toronado's brakes is to replace the single reservoir master cylinder with a dual reservoir m/c. Make sure you have perfect wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums and that they are all adjusted properly. Your car will stop perfectly.

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm in the process of retrofitting the front and rear brakes from a 75 Eldorado into my '66 Toronado. I will report with the results soon.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 pm

You'll need to use the Eldorado rims. '66 are unique and only work with drum brakes.

hbarbee
TOA Membership Number: 1035
Years Owned: 1969

Postby hbarbee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

I agree with Otto. There is a thread of mine on here that describes what to do to perfect a drum brake system. If you are driving the Toronado as a 50 year old classic should be driven, the drum system will be fine.

Return to “Technical Talk”