1967 Toronado - Wiper Washer Pump Repair

Post your technical questions and information here.
69OldsSpeed
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1967 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby 69OldsSpeed » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I have some experience I would like to share regarding my recent windshield wiper washer pump repair. First of all, I would recommend purchasing the new reservoir and electric pump kit as it would have less problems and no priming issues like these old un-submerged mechanical pumps have. Also, it would take up less of your time and frustration, albeit is a more expensive solution and is not OEM.

As you may know through your searching, there are no Toronado replacement kits that include the bellows for the wiper washer pump repair. So I found two parts sources that worked when I put together my needed parts.

The Bellows:
I looked at the Cadillac parts and Corvette parts. The Caddilac bellows it too large of a diameter to fit into the pump bore. Rather, the Corvette part (SKU No. WW-305; "63-67 Windshield Washer Pump Bellows Kit") found at http://www.zip-corvette.com/ fits the bore of the 67 Toronado washer pump and it fits into pump actuator rod. This part was $19.99 plus tax + shipping.

Wiper Pump Valve Kit:
I used the wiper valve kit from Fusick (Part No. WPRK638). This kit looks like it is designed for a piston type application but it can be made to work. In my case, the bellows didn't seat properly so the system wouldn't prime. Perhaps the Wiper Pump Valve Kit from Zip-Corvette would be a better and cheaper purchase. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't.

To make the bellows seal I used the piston style o-ring supplied in my wiper valve kit to make the seal between the valve plate and the bellows. I fit one edge of the o-ring into the valve plate. The other edge of the o-ring was pushed into the bellows (it fit into the inside edge) to create an interference fit. They I assembled the plates onto the pump. I tightened until snug.

My wiper pump now works.

Additional parts consideration:
The parts at http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19cawiwapure1.html have the replacement spring, screws, and plastic parts. However, the bellows do not fit the 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 1967 Toronado - Wiper Washer Pump Repair

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Cool. Do you have any pictures?

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm

I tried to keep that type system going in that generation cars, but every time