67 Toronado Signal Indicator Cam Replacemnt - Tilt / tele

Post your technical questions and information here.
69OldsSpeed
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1967 Oldsmobile Toronado

67 Toronado Signal Indicator Cam Replacemnt - Tilt / tele

Postby 69OldsSpeed » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 pm

So I have repaired the cam in my signal indicator switch. My 1967 Toronado has tilt / telescoping steering without cornering lights. Turn Signal Switch Part No. 7805676 (I believe.)

In my case the cam had become loose causing the turn signals and the brake lights to not operate. Since a new turn signal switch was not available, I used a turn signal switch repair kit (e.g. a replacement cam.) I used the part recommended by Napa. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHDL6125. ~$20.

If you do not have the proper tool J-22598: For steering wheel removal refer to the Shop Manual. To remove the turn signal cover I used a 3-jaw puller (free tool rental at parts store) and some ingenuity. The 3-jaw puller has two issues here.
1 - it tends to bend out the rolled end of the turn signal cover.
2 - It doesn't hold its geometry well when applying load to the rolled edge of the turn signal cover.
To overcome these issues, I rotated the 3 jaw puller occasionally to reduce damage to any one spot on the turn signal cover and I used a large bushing to force the 3-jaw puller teeth to engage the rolled lip at the outer edge. This helps to reduce unrolling the rolled turn signal cover edge. If you can get the J-22598 tool and a slide hammer, it is advised but expensive.

To remove the old turn signal cam I recommend using a Dremel to carefully remove the outer end of the retaining rivet that originally holds the cam to the turn switch rod and turn switch body. Do this with the switch bolted in place. After pulling the cam off of the switch, cut the two wires (brake and turn signal) as close to the old cam as possible to give you extra wire to work with when soldering in the new cam. Keep the old cam for reference since the new cam is not color-coded and it will make it easier to remember which wires connect to where when installing the new cam. Next, unbolt the turn signal switch body and pull it away from the steering column, just enough to remove the rod that the turn signal lever actuates. With the rivet end Dremeled away, this rod should pull out from behind the switch.

BEWARE! The replacement cam comes with a quick-lock washer that does not secure the new cam into place. There is not enough rivet remaining for the quick-lock to grip. So....I had a machine shop cut off the rivet tip of the turn signal rod, then drill-and-tap a hole into the rod where the rivet was ($30 at Bama'Canics in Orlando, FL). This hole was M3-0.6 and 15mm deep (centered and parallel to the rod body.) I did find the M3-0.6-12mm machine screw at Micro Fasteners online (~$10.) However, I recommend using a different thread that is easier to find. I recommend M3-0.5. Maybe you can fit an M4-0.7. These can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc.

Now you just solder the new cam wires into place. Test assemble the unit to make sure that the contacts are properly located and functioning. I had issues where the new cam contacts did not properly line up with the switch body contacts. I had to make minor adjustments to get it to work right. I'm guessing you will not have these issues. When assembling the switch, lubricate with electrical grease (lithium) and don't tighten too hard. Rather, use Blue Locktite and tighten the new retaining screw until you have proper contacts. I would let the Locktite cure for at least 24 hours. Afterwards, test the assembled unit a LOT before reassembling the steering wheel... just to make sure nothing loosens or gets our of adjustment.

So the total cost was ~$55 and a lot of time and patience. I hope this is useful.

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Re: 67 Toronado Signal Indicator Cam Replacemnt - Tilt / tele

Postby Schurkey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm

69OldsSpeed wrote:So I have repaired the cam in my signal indicator switch. My 1967 Toronado has tilt / telescoping steering without cornering lights. Turn Signal Switch Part No. 7805676 (I believe.)

In my case the cam had become loose causing the turn signals and the brake lights to not operate. Since a new turn signal switch was not available, I used a turn signal switch repair kit (e.g. a replacement cam.) I used the part recommended by Napa. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHDL6125. ~$20.
... I hope this is useful.

It is. Photos would be nice. Thanks.

DanielBishop wrote:I'm a spamming moron. My IP address needs to be blocked, and I should have my fingers broken with my own keyboard.

Return to “Technical Talk”